How much will it cost to repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by quagmire, Apr 3, 2009.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I dropped my 17" MBP this morning in the carrying case. The aluminum around the expresscard/34 slot bent out. I know AppleCare won't cover it, so I am wondering how much it will run me to repair?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

It probably won't be a cheap fix if you go directly through Apple. You may be able to take care of it for a few hundred bucks if you go through an authorized repair shop. That is pending that it is just cosmetic damage.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I did that to my 15" MBP (non-unibody) and there's a few things you should know.

1. Applecare will refuse to warrant ANY issues you have with it, until you pay an Applecare provider to fix it. To get around this, I am now forced to always take it to an Apple Store for warranty service, as I can no longer send it in to be fixed.

2. If you ship it in to get it fixed, they will lie about what is broken. I was told that my hard drive was broken as well, as a result of the fall, and I would need to pay $300 for it to be replced. almost a year after the accident where I "damaged" my laptop, the "broken" hard drive is still working great.

3. They will over-charge you. If I wanted to get my small dent fixed, it would have cost me $1200. I could have gotten a refurb 15" MBP (same model) from Apple at the time for $1299.

4. If you look on e-bay for the parts, you might be able to do it yourself for less. That's what I'm doing. Instead of paying $1200, I'm paying $25.

4. felt. macrumors 6502a

nice..did the same thing yesterday (dropped 17" in bag) now it wobbles and its tickling my OCD bone. anyone have any experience bending a bottom case back into shape, or replacing it? :D looks like quite a big job..
    If i do the repair myself is there any unique serial on the bottom case that apple could see i replaced it myself thus voiding my warranty?

also are you saying if its just a slight dent, where everything works perfect and the damage is purely cosmetic, you couldn't take it in to get looked over and confirm all is fine, so if something happens later it would be covered... or does it not work like that? I would hate to be forced to fix a scratch/dent, because maybe I enjoy the uniqueness it gives my computer.

5. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall it isn't that bad of a dent, but it still bugs the hell out of me. First a desk lamp falling on top of the keyboard smashing the L and K keys to pieces and now this. My MBP must think I am neglecting it since my old 12" PB is still in perfect condition. :(

Sorry for crappy iPhone pics as well.

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I had the exact same damage on my MBP. I took it apart and bent it back in. It is really simple. Just have to get the stuff behind it out of the way. Also, you can totally replace the bottom case of it too. Sometimes can find those for a few hundred on eBay. Do it yourself and change a ton.

Funny thing with mine was, after I bent it back in, the plastic separated on the front of the casing and Apple replaced the whole bottom under AppleCare. There is hope.

Good luck.

7. zeiter macrumors 6502

I have the same thing, but i don't care reparing it..I'll prolly just change my laptop in 2 years. I don't see it when I use it cause im looking at the screen :)

8. genmic macrumors regular

I did the exact same thing as Scottsdale with my classic MBP. I really don't even know where the bend came from, but I was shocked to see it as little things like that bother me. So if it bothers you enough try opening the machine and gently bending it back.