How much will multiple displays impact battery performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ammophobia, Jun 23, 2013.

1. ammophobia macrumors newbie

I am wondering if using an external monitor for a second display will impact battery performance on the new Air. I am planning to use an external monitor at work with an mDP to DVI connector. It will be used as a second display to watch stocks movement while the main MBA display will be used for my main work (web development).

I am considering to purchase an MBA for the privilege of not carrying the charger when I go to work so I can use a slimmer bag.

Also, does putting the MBA on sleep when transporting drain the battery quickly? Thanks.

2. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

What you say doesn't make sense to me. Why would someone want mobility when you got a desk and there is no requirement for working with the computer on a plane or on a bus/train, etc.

Will definitely impact battery life. If you get 5 hours, I will be amazed, but not likely.

You will strain the graphics performance of the processor which more likely will be rendering a higher resolution than the MBA itself.

The adapter is quite small and since you will be working on a desk you will definitely have a plug available near you.

You can easily get an 2nd adapter and leave it at your job place, so then you won't have to carry it around, but again, it is so small that I truly do not understand you.

No, the battery doesn't drain unless you have PowerNap on, or unless you leave the computer to sleep for an insane amount of time, like weeks perhaps, but I think Apple claims 30 days.

3. ammophobia thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, different people, different circumstances ;). Thanks for the response.

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

But why not have the MBA charging while you have it hooked up to the display? You say you don't want to carry the charger with you, but it can't be that hard.

5. curtoise macrumors 6502a

PowerNap is off and the two time I've placed the laptop to sleep this weekend the battery went down by 4% overnight.

6. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

This, big time...