How much will the iPhone 5 cost and should I not buy on release date?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by timobxsci, Aug 20, 2012.

1. timobxsci macrumors newbie

I'm waiting for the 5 just like everyone else. However, I have some questions about it because I'm still a bit confused.

1. I'm a Verizon customer with an upgrade available. Am I able to upgrade to a new phone such as the 5 on release day or is that not allowed? Also, if I can upgrade, how much do you think it'll be?

2. Do you think the price would go down during the holiday season (given that it comes out in September)?

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

1. Yes, it will likely be the same price as the 4S.

2. Definitely not.

3. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Not sure why you are even asking this question. You should know they don't drop in price besides a month before the new release. Since iPhones only come out once year what do you think that means?
    Has the price ever been different the last 4 years of the phone? The price will be the same as its always been.

4. aneftp macrumors 68040

Target in USA had subsided iPhone 4s $25 off the usual $199 price during 2011 holidays. So maybe small discount.

Remember u lose unlimited data with Verizon if u want the $199 pricing.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Let's see. You want to see the price to upgrade to the new iphone, right? And want to know the price in Nov/Dec.

I am sure someone will open up their little Verizon sales manual. In there will be the specs for a phone that has not been announced. It will also have the prices for a phone that is not yet announced. It will also have the details on upgrades based on the number of phones in inventory - which has not been announced. They will also find the holiday pricing that has been changed, or not changed based on sales in Sept, Oct and Nov for a phone that has not been announced, released or yet sold.

No problem.

6. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

I think it's pretty obvious that the next iPhone will be $199 for the entry level GB model considering the pattern apple has set out and also the price of the competition currently.

You don't have to be a chump about it. We all know this is speculation. It doesn't change the fact that this speculation is heavily influenced by facts from the past. So get off your high horse.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Here's a thought. Maybe the poster has never owned an iPhone. Maybe he doesn't follow pricing trends. And as has been mentioned, various companies DO do deals on phones during the holidays, especially around black Friday.

8. voodoopenguin macrumors newbie

I hope someone that is knowledgeable in this matter regarding verizon data can clarify something for me. I'm under the impression that my current unlimited 3G data will be "converted" to unlimited 4G data, if I buy the new iphone (or any other 4G phone) at full, unsubsidized price. Am I correct in this notion? Or will I have to get a tiered plan no matter what?

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Currently, this is the case with other 4G phones. It would be irresponsible for anyone to say what would happen with the iPhone. Maybe Verizon stops doing this just before the next iPhone. Maybe they don't. My gut says, since it's a new policy, they will roll with it for about a year, at least.

10. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

I want to buy it without contract . How much you guys think its going to be ? In other words , unlocked sim iphone

11. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Most likely the same price at $650 for the entry level. I will preorder two unlocked ones on reveal day. Cant wait! I havnt had an iPhone since the 3GS, had a android for the past couple years.

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

Have u guys been on a different planet the past 2 months?

Verizon made huge headlines in early June when the announced u will lose unlimited data if u want the subsidized pricing for any phone. This policy went into effect June 28th.

Its an official policy. U have 2 choices. Pay full price or use subsidy upgrade and lose unlimited data.

A side thing u could do is also open up another line for subsidized pricing. But u can never get $199 lte Iphone pricing on unlimited data line that is eligible for upgrade.

13. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Based on how Apple priced Everything in the past...

On Contract:
    $199/$299/$399

Factory Unlocked/Outright purchase
    $649/$749/$849

With iPhone 4S being $99/$549 unlocked
    and iPhone 4 being Free/$375 unlocked

14. james92se macrumors 6502a

What are the chances unlocked will be available on day 1?

I told myself last year at the 4S launch that I would wait for the unlocked version. We had no clue at first when the unlocked would be available and I caved and ended up getting the early upgrade deal which extended my contract and still ended up costing me $500 some odd bucks.

This year I'm pretty intent on waiting for the unlocked. I sold my 4S and am using my original iPhone which is excruciatingly slow at times. I have to restart it 2-3 times a day otherwise it works down to 2-3 mb of free memory and is dog slow. I don't know if I can put up with this for several months so I'm hoping for a day one unlocked version. :cool:

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Just buy the AT&T version outright, which after being plugged into iTunes, will become unlocked....As long as you bought it outright, instead of with a contract.

16. james92se, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

james92se macrumors 6502a

Is that just a faux-unlock? Not a true unlock, correct?

*edit* nvm, I see even the flat out unlocked one sold from Apple's website is only unlocked to GSM carriers anyway

17. voodoopenguin macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Was simply asking for clarification on the 3G to 4G part, which I got.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

...that is exactly what they said.

19. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Not exactly. Upgraded my wife's phone to an LTE phone. Didn't have to give up unlimited plan. I chose to, but didn't have to. Had I upgraded my phone to LTE model, I would have had to because mine is the primary phone on our former family plan.

20. aneftp macrumors 68040

Did u do this before or after June 28th 2012. That was cutoff date (unless u preordered S3 before June 28th deadline).

21. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You need to reread what I said. I am on the same planet as you, and I basically said the same thing. I added that between now and when the next iPhone launches Verizon can very well get rid of the unlimited data plan alltogether (read: whether you pay in full or not, you lose your unlimited data). Will they do that? I am betting not. But they COULD. As such, I can't promise this guy with 100% certainty that the unlimited data is here to stay in any shape or form. I am assuming you can't either, unless you know some insider information that I do not?

22. Bigtoti macrumors newbie

As much as AT&T service sux. They have kept true to their word. I got the first iPhone with my wife. We are grandfathered in with unlimited data. Every new phone, every new contract, they honor our unlimited plan. Don't know about the other providers.