how much will this cost to fix?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thisistiffy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. thisistiffy macrumors newbie

hey guys - i recently started using my husband's old macbook pro. it's an older model - the aluminum kind. i noticed today that "magically" (code word for i have kids in the house and no one is owning up to it) the bottom left corner of the faceplate has popped up. there are no dings or obvious signs to it being dropped so i'm at a loss as to how it happened. it is no longer under warranty and i'm wondering if you guys have an idea around how much it will cost to have fixed. i don't really care about appearance, but it is pretty far off of the body and i'm worried about something happening to the machine-y bits.

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

If the machine runs fine and all you are worried about is dust and such, you could just use Duct tape to hold the edge down. Be careful to tape some soft cloth over it so that the lid doesn't contact the tape when it's closed.

Dale

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'm pretty sure it's held in place by tabs. Try running your finger along it while pressing down lightly, and see if it pops back into place.

4. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Yes, depending upon the age of it, it is common for 'tabs/ barbs' to be used that would sort of bite in to hold pieces in place.. if so, it may well snap back together..

Look here, you may find the model and a solution, quite likely.. I hope!! :apple:

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro

5. thisistiffy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your replies guys but no luck. here's what it looks like.

[​IMG]

i will probably just tape it down, but was curious about the price. if it's not too much i would prefer to have it fixed properly.

6. bobcan, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Hmmm.. OK.. it may well be of the 2006-2007 era I think, and might be that the 'tabs' are actually broken.. If it is working now should be OK, and doubtful that it will harm anything internally, other than letting DIRT into the machine, which would be bad of course..

If you can search out your specific machine on iFixit, I would think it should accurately describe dis-assembly/ reassembly in there, step by step.. and give you an idea of what may be going on there..

** Check Step #9 Specifically ** : http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Core-Duo-Model-A1150-Lower-Case/509/1

Alternately, TAPE would likely get pretty 'gooey' with time, maybe something in a fairly simple Glue (like Seal-All) and a couple of dabs along the gap, might be a solution, and would clean off easily later.. That is IF the Gap Closes Easily and the Glue is just holding the pieces in place without much force required to hold it..

Good Luck once again!!

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Does it press back into place easily? If not, check to be sure it isn't being caused by a bulging battery dislodging the cover. If it is the battery, you would probably want to get that replaced before using it further.

8. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yes, take out the battery and see if it has any bulges in it or anything else. That part of the case is also held down my screws that are visible from the battery compartment. While the battery is out see if there's any missing screw holes in that general area.