How much will this cost to repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChitoCrisis, Nov 14, 2011.

1. ChitoCrisis macrumors member

I dropped my MBP a couple of times and the usb ports and mini display port have slightly shifted up. I can still plug in devices but they are not detected at all. That's one problem.

The other problem is the trackpad "locks" at certain angles. For example, I won't be able to click at all; sometimes it will click by itself. It gets very annoying.

I haven't check any repair shops yet since I've been very busy but I'd like to get an estimate from those who might know what the problem is. While we're at it, how hard would it be to repair it yourself by using a guide or something?

I'm trying to save as much money as possible for holiday shopping and need to save up for a Mac desktop for next year. But I really need to start using my MBP because my 3d graphics final is due next month and I haven't been able to work on it. I could go to the school's lab but I work extremely early in the morning and when I get home I feel like doing nothing especially driving. If my computer was all fine, I would be working on my hw.

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

It seems like your unibody case is deformed. Not sure if it can be fixed by bending it back (I honestly don't think this is possible).

I don't remember if the USB and mini display ports are soldered directly to the logicboard or if they are on a separate board. Since you can still plug in devices, I guess the connection of the ports to the rest of the macbook is broken.

3. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

I'm guessing it would cost more to fix it than going and getting a new one. You can always get a bluetooth mouse in the mean time.

4. Mersailios macrumors regular

I'd recommend taking the computer into a Genius Bar at an Apple Store (if one is available in your area) or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (also known as an "AASP") to get an estimate as it's hard to say exactly what hardware is damaged at this point without being able to physically look over the unit.

That being said by the sounds of it, I'm going to guess the unibody enclosure and potentially the logic board as well. It's hard to say exactly what the cost of repair would be though as there may be other issues on the inside of the computer.

5. ChitoCrisis thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that's actually a good idea.

I'll follow your guys suggestion and take it to an authorized apple repair place thingy. But from the sound of it, it will cost me way more to fix it.

In the meantime I'll do my 3d graphics on this using a bluetooth mouse. I don't know why I didn't think about it sooner. I went ahead and bought Snow Leopard (required to run the 3d software). I won't be able to buy a new Mac until February I'm afraid. I'm going to buy a desktop and keep this MBP to surf the web and all since everything else is fine.