How Much Will You Pay for an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1981d, Nov 30, 2017.

?

How much are you willing to pay for an iPhone?

1. $0 (I'm just an Android Troll who vandalizes MacRumors Threads)

2. $200 or less, 3 generation old iPhone works for my needs.

3. $300-$600, Last year's model is fine, just put a case on it if it has scratches.

4. $700-900, New Mid-Range iPhone has 95% of the features, extra 5% not worth the $$$

5. $1,000-1,300, I'll pay for this year's flashy new paradigm, but I'm not going any higher.

6. (Future) $1,400+, Its New, It's Shiny, Apple Made it, I want it. Here is my AMEX Black Card

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 1981d macrumors 6502

Just curious how different people approach this purchase, both now and in the future.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The Way I justify a price point for an iPhone, is being how much use I actually get out of it every single day that conveniences me with communication, work related purposes and overall accessibility to other sources. It's the one piece of tech that I would be willing to spend A higher dollar amount if the newest iPhone met all my expectations.

3. lexvo macrumors 65816

I keep my iPhone for several years (I am still using my iPhone 5s). So I have no problem paying over $1000, but 1400+ is too much.

4. Suspenders macrumors regular

Suspenders

Cost of new tech always seems to go up...

It's hard to see that the latest and greatest from any manufacturer will ever be cheaper than it is today.

Therefore, if I personally think that the new product is worth my money, I will buy it. If it isn't worth my money, I won't buy it.

5. TechNismo macrumors 6502

TechNismo

I fine with $1400 for future iPhones... for sure not an iPhone X though. Prices of iPhones are just going up. Not surprised to be spending $1400 in 2-4 years for an iPhone.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I will bet that a larger OLED screened iPhone X+ will cost more!

7. maka344 macrumors 65816

maka344

I’ve upgraded annually but I will start looking at every other year now I think.

It’s not that I can’t afford them, but they are becoming a bit of a joke and the functionality jumps aren’t anywhere near as high year in year out.

8. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I feel you there, my issue is that there are so many other great options are much better price points. If $1000+ was the cost of a great phone then I'd be all for it but its not. There are cheaper alternatives that do 98% of the same stuff which makes the price too much for me to stomach.

It's even something if Apple was the only one on the block with the newest technology but they aren't and there are others who have had same or similar tech for longer and it comes at a better price. IMO, the Note 8 is a better device and it's still cheaper than the X.

9. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

This pretty much. My phone is used daily for a variety of things, so for the roughly price of a cup of coffee a week to have the newest I can justify that. Providing it does what I need it to do. This year I got a $300 gift card to upgrade, so that's a bonus too!

10. jeyf macrumors 65816

sooner or later ATT and others will bring 5G to my area. Dont know how this will effect my iPhone needs.

11. m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

I’ll be honest when I saw the $1000 price marker I began seriously looking at Samsung S9+ before it’s release, learning QUITE a bit about android OS, because I felt $900 was my price break, personally I did not want to pay $1000 for a phone.

However not being able to make the jump to Samsung bloatware layered on android OS and not fully satisfied with the Pixel 2XL overall I took the $1000 plunge. After Applecare and a Mophie fast charger I was $1260 in, before tax.

I just couldn’t live with an LCD model when I knew I could have OLED finally and that difference between the 8+, though painstaking, was worth it “to me”. I only say this because I plan on keeping this for at least two years easily or more so I can get my moneys worth.

So I voted $1000-$1300 against my moral judgment on how much I should pay for a phone because that’s what happened despite what should have. :D

Don’t get me wrong, I love the X’s new innovative UI, Face ID, A11 chip and quality materials used to build it, albeit at a $100 premium. I actually might stick with Apple in 2 years again IF the then upcoming, less expensive, Pixel 5XL doesn’t impresses me. :p

12. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

Except for TVs, which are stupid cheap.

On the same exact week I got my wife her 5.8" X, I got a 70" lg 4k TV. Both purchases were $999 plus tax. How the hell is a 70" TV (on sale from $1500) the same price as a phone. A 256gb x would have been an additional $150. Just boggles my mind how a NICE 55" TV costs less than a used iphone 7 plus lol.

13. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I’ll pay up to $1000 for an iPhone X plus if it has split view. Rumors are the manufacturing costs will decrease, so that might happen.

14. m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

Yeah, but your TV doesn’t surf the net, take pictures / selfies, shoot 4K Video @60FPS, face time, text, stream, flashlight, calculator, play music, run apps, or answer/make phone calls that fits your pocket, it’s just a TV.

15. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

But it's got YouTube. That's all my kids need lol

16. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I voted $300-$600 as I have and love my SE. I also have an 8 but I usually have a phone I sell which brings down the cost of the new phone a lot. If I had to I could stomach up to $750 but not anymore than that.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It really depends what I want from the iPhone. I do think for some that upgrade annually anyway, I’m not really willing to spend a ridiculous amount of money for a phone, but it generally matters what the phone has to offer in terms of hardware before I consider upgrading.