How much would a minor dent repair cost for the 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prodo123, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Normally I would not be concerned about looks, but the fact that the bottom cover won't close and its proximity to the hard drive makes me worry about this dent on my MBP.

It's on the right front corner of the body, directly next to the SATA cable inside the laptop. If it went 3mm further it would have mashed into the SATA connector and damaged the hard drive, but thankfully it didn't do that.

I never dropped the laptop; I baby it, yet here I am with a dent on the side xD

From your experiences, how much would a repair cost? The laptop is still under warranty, if that can do anything.

Attached Files:

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It's not going to be repaired, it's going to be replaced. Since it's your fault it got damaged (obviously, you take quite good care of your MBP but they don't dent themselves) Apple will likely charge you their flat rate for repairs.

If you're handy enough with tools, you could replace it yourself for cheaper.

3. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Is that the $700 replacement fee?
    If so then I might actually consider the $300 body replacement from iFixit...

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Exactly. Obviously, you'll want to confirm with Apple before doing anything, you might get lucky. But that's what I expect to happen.

5. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

I hate seeing these posts, because I pick up my MBP and investigate for any visible damage every time.

I would say just leave it, but is that something you want to do? or you really need/want it fixed?

battle scars... :(

6. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Like I said, I would leave it if it weren't for the inability to fully close the bottom and its proximity to the hard drive.

Function over form, that's what matters ;)

7. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

did the bottom come unscrewed? I don't understand what you mean by "close the bottom". because it "broke the seal"? is that what you are saying. I don't think that is a big deal honestly, and as long as the HD is working and it caused no internal damages other than the very bottom part of the MB (I say this because it looks like your screen lid closes just fine and there is no overbite) then why spend money to fix it? you know it's there, I can see that being bothersome. Not enough for me to spend a couple hundred at the minimum though. Did you have any luck with apple?

8. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The inner edge is bent in just enough to push the lid out and the screws to pop out.