how much would a theoretical watch edition with link bracelet cost?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bniu, Aug 12, 2015.

1. bniu macrumors 6502a

Apple's given away a few of these to celebs, but so far hasn't sold any. If Apple did offer such a combo, how much do you think it would go for? I'm guessing $30K? $10K for the watch piece, $20K for the bracelet?

2. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

if the apple watch edition with sport band only costs 12k, i would estimate the link bracelet to have something like ~20X more gold by mass, given you are making a SOLID link bracelet out of gold. So my estimate would be anywhere from 200-300k (if 240k is 20X the 12K price).

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Absurd deduction. The cost of the Edition with the sport band is mostly markup and meaningless. Making something solid gold won't increase the price proportionally.

Solid gold Apple Watch Link Bracelet for the price of a Patek? Too funny.

4. bniu thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, we know the value of the 42mm watch case only is $10K (just look at the AppleCare express replace page), so sport band is $2K. You can deduce classic buckle is $5K, modern buckle is $9K. Somewhat proportional to the non edition band costs. So with a link bracelet costing 9x a sport band in the non edition world, I'm guessing 9x sport edition plus $2K to account for all the gold?

5. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Well, I think a comparable yellow gold Rolex President gold band is around $10K. So, apply the Apple Fantasy Pricing Factor, and you get something around $20K for a gold AW band.

6. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

It's 17k for a gold watch with leather buckle, I would imagine 30K at least

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Price aside, I'm not sure gold could provide the resilience that steel does when it comes to snapping together the removable links.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is all very speculative because there is no gold link bracelet from Apple. If there were, then it would require a special gold alloy to handle the tools-free links. The thing that people need to understand that the price of each model Watch far exceeds the cost of materials and manufacturing. The yellow gold Watch with Sport Band is priced about 20 times the price of the regular SS Watch with Sport Band. Applying the same ratio to the 42 mm SS Watch with Link Bracelet gives price of $20,000 for a gold Watch with gold link bracelet.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Except they do exist as Apple has gifted them to celebrities such as Beyonce, etc.

Never thought about the removable links being solid gold, but I don't see why it can't still work with conventional 18K gold alloy. Perhaps the removable links are a combination of 18K gold and other metals for durability?

10. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

The user who recently posted a photo of his Space Black bracelet missing a button could argue that a gold bracelet would also contain steel parts.

Do we know for sure that Beyoncé's AW bracelet really is solid gold and not plated?

11. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

12. redman042 macrumors 68020

Guessing those special gold link bracelets are just electroplated stainless, much like what some users are getting done by third parties. I really doubt Apple developed the custom metallurgy to make a solid gold link bracelet work.

So any of you with enough income to get an Edition could make this happen for around $1000 more (cost of SS link and third party electroplating).

13. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I'd say Rolex is just as guilty of fantasy pricing, if not more so, so I wouldn't imagine that the gold AW link bracelet would be more than a President bracelet. The steel Rolex bracelet already costs 4x as much as the Apple steel link bracelet.