How much would GPS add to cost of ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BenK01, Jun 10, 2008.

1. BenK01 macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2005
    With the iphone getting built-in GPS, will Apple add GPS hardware to the ipod touch? What would that add to the cost of the touch? That would be a great additional feature, IMO. I'm looking to buy a touch for my wife to use as her PDA, but I'd wait if I thought Apple was about to add hardware GPS.
  2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Jun 1, 2007
    Chicago, IL, USA
    The iPhone got GPS because it needs that to compete in the market, not because they just felt like giving it a bonus. However, the iPod has no need for it and will still sell well even without GPS. I think that you'd be fine to buy it now, as I honestly don't see GPS coming in the next few years.
  3. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2007
    If you want GPS, get the iPhone. They won't add it to touch because that will take away from the iPhone.
  4. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Mar 15, 2008
    About $10. See this link.

Only time will tell if any MP3 player gets the GPS chip. Something that already has wifi and google maps is the best candidate for it. I wouldn't count on Apple putting GPS in the Touch, but they have surprised me before.
  5. BenK01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2005
    If not Apple, might a 3rd party add on give the same GPS capability as the iphone 2? (While they're at it, how about a camera and microphone, too?)
  6. Kohkane macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2008
    Last time I checked the iphone already had that :rolleyes:
  7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    some of us have cell phone contracts and dont wish to get an iphone

nothing wrong with wanting caabilities with the touch

sheesh some people:rolleyes: