How much would I get for my touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nlivo, Jan 1, 2008.

1. nlivo macrumors 6502a

G'Day. I am thinking about selling my iPod touch. I was just wondering how much I would get for it. It's in perfect working condition but the back of it has heaps of scratches. It has no other scratches on it besides from the shiny back part. How much do you think I would get for it? Thanks.

2. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

hard to say.

maybe half what you paid.

maybe 2/3rds.

just depends.

3. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

start at 50 bucks less than what you paid, and look at that as the BEST possible scenario

4. nlivo thread starter macrumors 6502a

what do you mean "Best possible scenario"??

I would definitely want more than half. I paid $550 Australian, so I'm thinking selling it at about $500 and say to them that the scratches came a little earlier than what they would for you because it is inevitable. Would $500 be good or am I expecting a little too much??

5. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

why would someone pay almost full price for a used, scratched touch?

not trying to give you a hard time but this is true of anything, including vehicles, furniture or electronic devices, etc.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It's scratched on the back. That means it will look terrible to a prospective buyer. There is probably some other damage, that you as the owner do not notice but someone buying would when they first look at it. Plus, it's used.

As a prospective buyer, why would I pay close to retail for something that is used and damaged (not new condition)?

I would say you will be lucky to get around half of what you paid for it.

Also, with MWSF coming up so soon, we may see a memory bump in the Touch. If that happens, the value of yours will drop some more.

Don't mean to rain on your parade but unfortunately electronic devices drop in value quickly. Especially ones that have visible damage.

7. mvaj92 macrumors member

I've seen people selling it for about 40-90 dollars less than what they paid for it, hope that helps.

Thats in US dollars, forgot to say.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

I think that you would optimistically be looking at about $375-400 AUS. That's if you have the box and everything that came in it as well.