How much would it cost in Oz?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tragedies, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Tragedies macrumors 6502

The iPod Nano (4gb) in the US store costs 150, while here it's only a bit mor at 190. The Apple TV is around 200 in the US store, but a huge 400 in the Australian store.

Some people are saying that Steve Jobs said the price would not be more then 199 worldwide (abut 210 here), so what are your thoughts on the exact Aus pricing?

2. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

<quote>Starting at $199</quote>

Pretty sure thats a world wide price.

3. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, that's pretty cheap considering how every company always makes the prices ten times higher in Aus for profit.

4. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

yeah but the 16gb is $399, that's fairly expensive
    i guess we're just going to have to wait!
    i'm buying 2 8gb :D one for me and mother dearest

5. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

Im just byong one 8GB down here, heh (average user). I heard Optus plans will start at 40 dollars, so thats good.

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Steve noted that the highest price for those 22 countries (Oz included) would be $199 USD.

7. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

Looks like we'll be able to buy the iphone outright in Aus

http://www.apple.com/au/pr/library/2008/06/09vodafone.html

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But an iPhone with no data plan feels like a lame duck. I hope Optus can give me a good monthly data rate. $12 for 100 MB is ridiculous. That would let me go onto my Google Homepage like 10 times, or even a website like Hotmail (and I don't know why I'd go there) 20 times. :eek:

Ok, not bad if that's for >2 GB or so.

9. AaronChiles macrumors newbie

I'm going to study in Melbourne and I leave the US on July 11th at 10:00AM. The worst possible time, not enough time to pick up the iPhone, and I already sold my old one. I'm going to pick up one on a prepaid Vodafone plan when I get there on the 13th. Hopefully you guys won't have bought them all by then.

I'm not too worried about data; I'm just going to hop on WiFi whenever I can (assuming RMIT has campus wide WiFi).

10. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

Vodafone currently has free browsing for Vodafone Live, but I use it for external websites all the time and AFAIK have never been charged for data. I wonder if they'll keep this in place for the iphone.

11. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

Im hoping Optus, like Vodafone, will release the phone prepaid on july 11th. They're already allowing users to pay 50 dollars (at which they get back on release day) to get the phone two hours early.

Do you think the phone will be HIGHER then 200 AUD for prepaid? Im not sure how prepaid/plan prices work these days.

12. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure the iphone will be a little more expensive in Aus.

And data, it will probably be on cap plans like it is now.

Then again the cheap price might only be for contract plans. Who knows, we'll all find out July 11th. If it's really good I'd be willing to ditch my 1st gen and hop on Vodafone for 2 years.

13. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

In the keynote Steve Jobs mentioned the price wouldnt be above 200 worldwide, so I'm guessing he meant contract. Oh well, I guess if Optus offers descent contracts (looking for 30 a month for an average user here) I'll go for that, I spend 30 a month on PrePaid anyway. Heh.

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The equipment today will be 210.20 AUD. Optus monthly who knows.

15. punkybadhip Guest

I can't believe people that think that because a product costs X number of dollars in America, it should work out to X number of dollars in Australia.

Average US wage is around $35,000

Average Australia wage is around $55,000

I see people complaining about prices of goods in the nation compared to the US all the time. I'm sure many Americans would love to earn my $50/hour income. You know the kind of stuff they could buy with that wage, in their market?

Are most people failing to graduate high school these days or what?

16. AaronChiles macrumors newbie

Thanks for that info, I never knew there was so much of a difference. That explains a lot about the prices over there. I guess I should have went over there back when the US dollar wasn't so weak so that the exchange would offset that. I was ready to shell out $500 USD for the 3G iPhone, so hopefully it'll be somewhere around there unlocked and prepaid.

17. punkybadhip Guest

In Australia, PS3 games cost around AU$90-$120. (as already mentioned, this is offset by higher wages) However, the exchange rate between the AU$ and US$ is barely noticeable nowadays. So we can import US PS3 games for around $60!

Your weak $ gives us lots of goodies! ;)

18. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

I think you'll be looking at $50/$60 per month for anything decent. Optus seem to be fairly pricey for data costs (compared to Vodafone) but that all could change.

I took advantage of this to get Rock Band imported for my 360, it certainly is a good time to import :)