How much would it cost me to upgrade to the 2012 imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RobinHood5, Oct 18, 2012.

1. RobinHood5 macrumors regular

A few months ago I bought my first iMac. I would have waited but I needed it for school. I bought the imac with edu pricing for about $2100. This is about $300 less than what it would have been without edu pricing. Would it be possible to sell my nearly new imac for close to what a 2012 imac with the equivalent configuration under edu pricing.

My thought is, could I sell a $2450 computer for the $2100 that it would cost me to buy the new imac with the equivalent options with edu pricing?

2. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Ya I dunno seems pretty steep to me. I just bought a iMac myself a couple weeks back got a refurb that is pretty well loaded aside from a ssd. Paid $1769 with a government discount. Specs are the i7 3.4, 1 tera hard drive, and 1 gb video card, 27 inch model. This comes like new with a full warranty from day one. So in short I dont think buying a used computer with less of a warranty is worth paying more then I could buying a refurb. So maybe check what your comp would be as a refurb and go from there. Always check out what your buyers options are before you put up a silly price and hope for a sucker. Not saying your comp is bad sure it is amazing just gotta look at your buyers avenues.

3. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

The problem is that Apple sells refurbished iMacs with a pretty good discount and if and when new iMacs are announced third party sellers will be lowering the price of the previous models.

If you added Apple memory you won't make that back because after market vendors sell memory for much less.

Good luck.

4. RobinHood5 thread starter macrumors regular

I used other world computing. I think I'll keep this Mac and ill upgrade a couple years down the road (once theirs retina displays and a complete redesign)

5. Pie Chips Salad macrumors member

Yeh prob a good idea. It sounds like you spent a good amount on your current machine. It must be pretty capable. Alternatively you could whack it on ebay buy it now today and maybe someone who didn't know the new ones were coming out would buy it. Then you just get the new one and HOPE it comes out on the 23-24th!

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Check eBay for your exact model & specs. I bet you could come close.

Just don't sell until you have the new model in hand. It will be much easier to transfer your settings/data and with the new screen tech there's a reasonable possibility of supply constraints.

7. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Nope.

$1,500 is wishful thinking. I see many with similar specs on Craigslist not moving.

Regardless how powerful it is, it's going the be the "old" design. Look how fast the iPads 2 dropped once the 3 came out.

8. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Rumour has it that there will be a complete redesign, and whilst there probably won't be a retina display, I wouldn't be surprised if the resolution is bumped. Who knows. If you are happy with your iMac then you will be fine, it is a beautiful machine.

9. mcpix macrumors regular

Although Macs still hold their value better than a PC, it's not like the old days when you could use a Mac for a year and then sell it without losing much money.

Not only can you buy refurbished Macs at a discount, there are also more used Macs on eBay and Craigslist to choose from.