How much would it cost?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wireless Buddy, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

How much would the Apple Store charge me to remove the logic board from my iBook? I'm going to send the logic board to a repair company, so I just wanted to know how much it would cost to just remove to logic board. Thanks.

2. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Probably more than it's worth. And are you going to pay them to reinstall it, too?

The labor involved to do this is pretty substantial, not to mention that they would probably want a "hold harmless" for anything that might get goobered up in the process, unless they are doing the repair....

MacDann

3. Wireless Buddy thread starter macrumors regular

4. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Well, the G3 Ibook, is what 10 years old or so, Worth 4-600.00 at most.
    Board removal, work, Replacement, 3-500-00. I'm sorry, but It may be time for a new machine. Who knows when the transformer will go, or cd drive, or monitor. Cut the losses, put the cash towards a macbook. Much more responsive, will last many more worry free years.

5. Wireless Buddy thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, no, not 10 years. My particular iBook is a little less than 5 years old.

But yes, I am certainly thinking about a MacBook.

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Alas, the G3s aren't worth more than $200-300 these days...

Take a look at the ifixit site for their disassembly guide. If you've got a mechanical bone in your body, you can do it.

7. Wireless Buddy thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I know, I've taken it apart a few times before. I'm just afraid of actually removing the entire logic board myself. I would feel better if a pro did it.

8. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The logic board isn't any worse that, say, swapping out a hard drive on the ibooks. If you're really sketched out about it, look for a local independent mac repair shop - they'll be cheaper by far.

On the other hand, mucking up the logic board can be a good excuse for buying new :rolleyes::D:D:D. Refurb macbooks are down to $799!