How much would the 2nd Gen Touch be?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheBonk, Sep 14, 2007.

1. TheBonk macrumors 6502

TheBonk

Would it be $299 for 16GB and $399 for 32GB or would the price drop to $250 for 16GB and $350 for 32GB?

I'm thinking of waiting for the next gen Touch for improvments to be made and also for them to get cheaper. Would it be logical to drop the prices on higher capacities?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You're joking, right?

You want unannounced second generation pricing estimates on a product that the first gen has barely started shipping yet?

3. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

Sad how there is enough dissapointment about left-out software and audio/video quality issues to make people ask this question.

What is worst (although promissing for fixes/upgrades) is that this isn't an issue of the technology not being there (the iphone has it) or the software not being advanced enough (like video on itunes WI-FI or synching wirelessly, which can be somewhat excused for now) but things that Apple could/has done or should know better (sub-par video quality and the hiss).

Maybe this is a batch, maybe the'll fix some of it with hardware, but its disappointing and while its capabilities might make it worthy of a 5 out of 5 star/dot PC mag rating, it those capabilities don't live up to stuff, then it certainly isn't the godlike product we all have been hoping for.

(that said, it still seems to outclass everything else in its...class, with only the iphone coming in on top. For now, at least).

4. TheBonk thread starter macrumors 6502

TheBonk

I've already got a 1 1/2 year old 1st gen Nano that is still in excellent condition. Why buy a Touch now when I've got a perfectly good Nano. It's better for me to buy one next year, when my Nano will be not so great.

5. bbydon macrumors 6502a

I'd say no.
    1st flash is still expensive. It hasn't fallen in price that dramatically.
    Thats why there isnt a 32 gb one...its pricey. My guess is apple is using 2 8gb flash drives to make the 16gb because it is cheaper than buying 1 16gb...im guessing though, will have to wait for the tear down.

2nd I think apple will keep this price point for a while because it fits well between the ipod and iphone.

It took a long time for the 1st ipod to drop in price...id say the same for the touch. The iphone was an exception the the rule...mainly because apple charged more because it could.
    It will also be another year before they update this baby.

6. s57 macrumors member

If anything, they will probably come out with a 16GB version of the iPhone - you don't want your flag ship model to lag behind in RAM.

7. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

Just got a full report from Steve Job's on the final price for the iPod Lick.

It is going to retail for $4000 and will consist of a small chip being embedded in your tongue that will pick up radio waves from fillings in your teeth and playback music. This is official, you can trust Steve and I. ;)

8. bbydon macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping for a 16gb iphone...but a lot depends on the tear down of the touch.
    If the touch has one 16gb drive then a new iphone is around the corner.
    If the touch has 2 8gb drives, there wont be a new iphone for a while or it will be thicker.

The curent iphone only has room for 1 flash drive.

ifixit.com should have a tear down of the touch by monday....i hope

9. AppleFan08 macrumors member

Hold on, let me look that up for you in next years newspaper. NOT. Looks like you'll be waiting until the 2ng gen touches are announced. Till then have fun.

10. bluush macrumors 6502

You know, I'm really glad I didn't heed all the comments on here. I bought a Touch today and it is fantastic with no complaints, really. I often wonder how many people criticizing these newly released gadgets actually own them, as opposed to fumbling with one in a crowded Apple store then rushing home and posting a reactionary comment.