Price Advice How much would this mac sell for?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Astroboy907, May 12, 2012.

1. Astroboy907, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012

Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

How much do you think a seller refurbished macbook pro Late 2008 would sell for?

I just bought a macbook pro 08 and parts to fix it. As apple is probably coming out with new notebooks, I am wondering how much I could get for it now (or how much you would pay for it)

Specs: 2gb RAM
    2.66 intel core 2 duo
    160gb Hard Drive
    15 inch

Laptop is refurbished with a new screen assembly, and backlight fuse is replaced
    Battery is well worn, with 600 or so cycles on it
    Has normal wear and tear bumps, dents, and scratches.

------
    I am hoping to get at least $600 or so for it..... So how much do you think its worth? Right now it is in the refurb process but I hope to get it sold possibly before the new models come out

So apart from that I have a few Qs.

1. How much less are macs likely to go on ebay once the new models are out?
    2. There are not many models higher spec than that (1 2008 model, and post 2010 models). How much do you think a Core i5 or Core i7 is going to go on ebay once the new ones come out? If I can get a core i5 for $800 I would take it.

3. How much is my model down valued due to refurbishment?

Edit: Oops.. hehe wrong thread at first :E

2. als522877 macrumors newbie

als522877

http://www.mac2sell.net/ Says that you can get $640 for it (based on specs & not condition). I've I used that website (and what people have machines listed for on ebay) to get a good estimate on the last used Mac I wanted to sell.

Back in Sept of last year I was able to traded my early 2008 White MacBook for a brand new in the box iPad 2 16GB WiFi with someone on craigslist as they bought an ipad thinking it would make a perfect "desktop replacement" & they were out of the 14 day return window. The value of the Macbook was right on par with a used iPad 2 price at the time & they were looking for a 2008 or newer MacBook.

I would think with it's condition I'm sure someone might give you $600 for it.

Hope think info helps.

3. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Thanks for he info (My result got 780... I think its because its a 15 " and the first unibody..)

4. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

It's just not really a desirable model, and getting quite old. In perfec condition I'd put it at $600 with a good battery. Yours with dents and battery, maybe $500 assuming the repair was decent. Was it repaired by Apple depot?

5. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I am repairing it myself (basically it needed a completely new display assembly)

6. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

No offense to you, but are you an ACMT? If not, then I would value the computer far far less, these are delicate machines and one that is repaired by a non ACMT cannot fetch anything near a stock unprepared machine of exact specs. That being said, GLWS

7. malman89 macrumors 68000

I would've given maybe $500 full price, -$50 ding on the battery cycle and -$50 on the condition. Then hearing about the repairs (Apple certified or not), I'd just give up and rather just buy a new computer with a warranty.

I'm sure you can find someone to pay in the $500-650 range if you're lucky. Always better to sell before an update if you can. Then again, I'm just stingy with my money when it comes to major purchases.

8. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

They are delicate. Which is why I wear an anti static strap, avoid static, and dont lose screws. Or take a hammer to the laptop. I am not an ACMT.

Bought the parts for a total of $500

9. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I generally do not trust that website. It says that I could sell my 2008 Mac Pro for $2580. I don't think that I would get anywhere near that price if I tried to sell it.

GL