Price Advice How much would this old Clamshell be worth? (many things that could change value)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ariii, May 11, 2012.

1. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

I have a 366 MHz G3 Indigo Clamshell. It would dual boot MacOS 9.2.2 and OS X 10.1.5. It has these software packages:

•Word + Excel + Works 2002
    •QuarkXPress
    •Adobe Photoshop
    •AppleWorks 6
    •OS X Developer Tools
    •Adobe Acrobat
    •Ircle + Classilla + other free software things

I have both the original YoYo charger and a (Never used, only tested by me) replacement charger, though the battery would be included but does not hold a charge. It mas 192 MB RAM as well, with a 10GB hard-drive and a flash drive with another copy of OS 9.2.2, and I have made it able to look completely new. The CD-ROM drive works perfectly well, except that it doesn't have the plastic cover on the side. It also comes with an AirPort card. I've seen 300 MHz ones without batteries and only OS 9 sell for about $60. The reason I'm selling this is to buy a Key Lime later on, hopefully for a good price. Any suggestions?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

None of your "many things that could change value" change the value that much. I'd check Mac2Sell.com or find a similar machine on ebay or craigslist to compare. You won't get more than a few hundred dollars, and that's if you're lucky.

3. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

I'm think Mac2Sell is a little flawed, and the results differ a lot with eBay. I saw that a Power Mac G3 with the exact same specs was worth double the price according to that site, and it doesn't really take operating systems into account at all. With the prices of some of these, I think there's a lot of people who would rather pay a little more for an operating system that would otherwise cost them over $100. (I'm not saying that's the case)

4. RedCroissant Suspended

I would never use eBay as a source for pricing. It's the pawn shop of the internet. Mac2sell and Everymac.com are good sources, and Craigslist as well if you can find one in the same condition as yours.

5. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Sorry, but what do you mean by the pawn shop of the internet?

And on Mac2Sell, it claims that all of them are worth $30, while the cheapest I've seen one sell using the "Buy it Now" thing was about $70 that was actually working. On auctions, they usually go for about $60, though. From what I've seen, I'm pretty sure the eBay ones are pretty overpriced. I'm going to buy a Key Lime, and those are usually around $100-$200.

6. RedCroissant Suspended

I mean that prices on eBay in general are not consistent and the whole thing just makes me think of pawn shops.

7. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Oh, thanks! I hope it's inconsistent enough that I can put my Clamshell up for $100 and maybe somebody might purchase it.