How much would you charge for "Mac help"?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sjjordan, Feb 2, 2009.

1. sjjordan macrumors 6502

I know a friend of a friend who just bought a MBP and needs help learning OS X. I've been a mac user for about 15 years and can definitely help him get on his feet but have no idea what to charge him. Any advise? I was thinking of just meeting him at Starbucks once/twice a week and charging him about $15-20/hour.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Same as PC help.
    I showed some neighbours how to use their computers. I didn't expect a penny but they gave me £10 for an hours worth of lessons.

If it was a friend or family member I wouldn't charge at all. And if some random neighbour asked and didn't mention a fee I wouldn't ask.

3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

My thoughts exactly...

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

What goes around come's around. Don't charge him.

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

If he's a friend don't charge anything, the pleasure of his company should be enough.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I would honestly say if he buys the coffee he has more then paid up.

7. tefleming macrumors 6502

I'll be the token Capitalist and say that you should charge. $30-$40 an hour for on-site service if you are good/know what you're doing. You can charge less, but you should consider what your time is worth. $20 for service at Starbucks I guess is okay.

I've found people are more comfortable calling you again if you treat it as a business relationship instead of a favor.

Think of it as the geek's equivalent of babysitting.

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Since this person is not YOUR friend, and you will be spending valuable time with him/her, I think what you are asking for is not bad.

You could also have him/her buy you the coffee and not charge if you enjoy it and the commitment is not a big deal to you.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly. This is a friend of a friend. Even if he's not your friend, I'd expect no more than a coffee out of this. Make it a double-mocha vanilla creme brulee monstrosity, and it's like you're getting paid more. ;) If he didn't offer to buy me a coffee, then I'd be surprised. If I'm doing this for a friend (and his friend), then being bought a free drink is just plain manners. I certainly wouldn't expect to buy my own while I'm sitting there helping him. It may sound like my help really isn't a "selfless" act, since I'd expect a coffee. But it's just a matter of manners in this case, not business.

I would honestly be surprised if a friend asked his Mac using friend to help me, and that friend of his/hers charged me. I would probably take it as a joke at first. If he didn't laugh, I'd pull out my wallet. It would be awkward though, I can tell you...

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

OP, did they approach you to spend a couple of sessions? or to actually make regular "classes".

If the later, then charge $$, if the first, go for the coffee. I would probably do that.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If it's a friend, the most I'd ask for is that his fridge is stocked with beer when I came over.

13. MegaMillions macrumors regular

$25 or $30 an hour.

I help people with Macs for $30 an hour, and all my clients have felt it was a very reasonable price. Granted, I know almost every piece of macintosh hardware and software inside out, but if you are really good, you should charge at least $30 an hour.

14. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I say "See, there's this place called the Apple Store, you buy this card and they teach you there. Don't ask me again."

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Except that it's Starbucks coffee. ;)

16. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yeah.
    And charge $10 for providing him with the information.:D

But seriously, he should just buy you a coffee. However, if you're don't really like him, you should charge some money. Probably around $20 an hour.

17. K3mp macrumors 6502

I fix a lot of computers/ setups for my friends and most of the time I do is just so I can go to their house for a couple of hours. I don't ask for money but they always pay me like $20 anyway. If you have a lot of free time don't ask for money, but if your time is really tight I guess it would be ok to charge. They should at least cover the coffee.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I help train quite a few people on PC (clients, not friends), and its 40 dollars an hour. For a mac I would probably only charge 20-30, I need mac to go main stream (more market share) so we start getting more programs like zbrush and mudbox (autodesk recently ported if I heard right).