How much would you charge for this?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Cromulent, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

How much would you charge for 860px by 100px web page header image and a few buttons (say 10)? With maybe another image for a banner advert?

I've got no idea what these kind of things cost so before I go out looking I just want a general idea of what I would be looking at paying.

2. wongulous macrumors 6502a

If you aren't asking for anything like a whole identity, and you just want the images, not the code (with no JS menus or anything like that), I'd say about $80-150 for a web-only design without rights. Expect more for vector, in-depth logo design, web layout, layered files, and rights to the work. Sound expensive? Keep in mind that unless you're going through a source that is either (a) completely inexperienced or (b) making their money off of having 20 one-off web banner clients per day, you're probably not going to be doing the designer any favors with a "hands-off" approach like this; they won't likely do you any favors either. I might eat my words if this is for a church or non-profit or something, but this is the equivalent of going to the deli and asking for two thin slices of ham for the sandwich you're making at home.

3. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Firstly I dont want to/mean to hijack this thread, but reading it has sparked something in me and has made me post a question very relevant to this thread....

Would it be possible for any experienced designer(s) here to help me (and other young designers on the forum) with pricing for work?

If anyone thinks this should be a valid stand alone thread (or even a sticky?) then i will start one.

Being new to freelancing and fresh out of college having studied a tangent to graphic design (i studied animation - we didnt really get much in the way of how much to charge for that either!) i have no real idea as to how much i should be charging for freelance design work.

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I too didn't get any education in pricing things. Currently I charge £25-£50/hour depending on the client, time-scale and project scope... Or negotiate a fixed fee within a certain scope.

Clients seem happy, but I have no idea if this is a 'good' range or too much, or too little for that matter.

Usually I get 50% of estimate upfront, but it doesn't always work out.

I'd love to see some advice from some more established freelancers. UK and USA based (among others).

Maybe this would be a worthwhile sticky subject.

5. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

At £50 an hour, you're looking at £75 - £140 I would have thought.

6. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Excellent, thanks guys.

Does anyone know a website where freelance designers go to get hired and I can post my specifications at all?

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

elance.com

Been using it a few weeks, but haven't got anything from it. It's hard to get started, but I hear it's the best.