How much would you offer for this Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shaynp, May 12, 2009.

1. shaynp macrumors newbie

Hi Folks,

Just signed up today and looking for some advice on a purchase of a secondhand Macbook Pro in silver with a matte screen.
    The spec if as follows:-
    Processor: Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz
    Hard Drive: 320 GB 7200 RPM
    Memory: 2 GB of RAM (DDR2 667MHz)
    Screen: 15.4"
    Apple Care expired.

He says...........
    Please can someone advise roughly hom much this would be worth in pounds sterling. I want to make a fair offer but don't know how much as I'm new to the Mac world.

Thanks

2. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Ok, let me start off, it's not as fast as a new MacBook :)
    Does it come with the OS and software install CDs? If not, the software is pretty much worthless. It also depends on it's condition, but if it's in good condition I'd want it to be <£600

3. shaynp thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it comes with cd's, will have to check and he tells me its in good condition.
    Would there be a big difference in speed between this and new macbook?

4. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

All depends on what you're going to be doing with it, but anything CPU intensive, I'd have to say yes (although it depends on which MacBook you're comparing it against). The 1.83 and 2Ghz Core Duo processors are still ok, but a fair way behind the newer Core 2 machines

5. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

It will be considerably slower than a new Macbook. I'd say the price should be around the £500 mark considering it is 3 years old and has no warranty. :)

6. bobnugget macrumors regular

It shouldn't be *too much* slower, maybe about 80% of the speed of the MacBook? I have a 2 and a bit year old 2.16 C2D MBP (it's also on eBay, for £650 at the moment. BUY IT! :D). I have just replaced it with a 2Ghz C2D MB, and the macbook is not much faster at all. Despite the lower clock speed, it is quicker, as the system bus is faster. For 3d games, you don't really notice the difference except at resolutions above 1024x768.

As Ryan points out though, you get a years warranty with the new MacBook, and a 3 year old laptop is now out of warranty.

Oh yeah, and to answer your original question, I'd say £600 absolute tops for a Core Duo system - the Core 2 Duo ones should be able to run in 64-bit mode in Snow Leopard, whereas this one won't be able to.

7. shaynp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies, I'm leaning to waiting for the possible updates in June and then perhaps just picking up a standard macbook from the refub store for around £750-£800.
    Only thing that might persuade me is the matte screen on the secondhand one as I will be using for photo editing on PShop.

8. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Well, Mac2Sell.net is a great website for things like this.

I threw in the spec and got this.

I'd try and get £550 for it though. Even though the guy is installing software on it, without those discs, they're pretty worthless. Not to mention against the user agreements.

As for saying it's as fast as a Macbook, as others had said, no it isn't. I think the new ones even Apple say are around 3x as fast as the first generation Macbook Pros.

Good luck anyway!

9. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I think that it's crazy to buy a 3 year old computer with outdated technology, no os or software disks and no warranty for anywhere near £500.
    You would be better off buying a new Dell laptop for less or spending more for a current spec mac laptop.

10. bobnugget macrumors regular

Would you also say it's better to buy a brand new Ford Mondeo rather than a three year old BMW M5?

They are completely different cars. A Dell and the MacBook Pro are completely different computers. If you want the higher quality computer for the same money as a cheapy Dell (and the £500 dell's are crap, we use them at work), you have to get one that is a few years old.

11. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Not only that, but we don't know it has no OS or software discs either

12. bobnugget macrumors regular

Is it really? You are following Apple's "comparisons" of the new systems. Bear in mind with both of these systems that for many applications, the performance bottleneck is the graphics card.

Check out these benchmarks:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-X1600.2163.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9400M-G.11949.0.html

The original MacBook Pro is nearer the lower end of the scale for X1600 cards as it is not clocked very highly.

Notice how the old MBP graphics card is BETTER than the MacBook Geforce card in some tests. The MacBook is in no way three times faster, and offers a marginal performance boost at best.

If the MBP has a 320 Gb HDD (compared to the 160 Gb in the base unibody one), the HDD is much faster than the MacBooks one. a 5400rpm HDD is faster than a 7200rpm 200 Gb HDD, so it will easily blow a 5400rpm 160 Gb one away, (neither get close to saturating the SATA bandwidth). Again, in terms of raw performance, the MacBook will be faster.

You will probably see a difference with the CPU/Memory tests. The MacBook WILL win. But, the CPU difference shouldn't be more than 20%, and the memory will certainly not be 3x faster.

If you are wondering why I know so much about this, it's because I've just swapped my second gen MacBook Pro for a Unibody MacBook. I spent a long time looking at benchmarks first to make sure that the MB would be better than the MBP, and cater for my needs. When I bought my MBP, it was touted as being 10% faster than the first gen, this is why I don't think that the CPU and memory would be too much faster than the ones in the original MBP.

13. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I wasn't talking about graphic cards. The info I was referring to was the floating point etc which Apple used to post on the pages for the Macbook Pro but it seems it's no longer there.

14. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

Nevertheless, a laptop with outdated technology, 3 years old and no warranty is not a good deal. Don't let a price fool you.

15. bobnugget macrumors regular

Maybe to you. Seems a lot of people in the real world don't share your opinion though.

Other people want performance (Large screen, firewire, nice design, made of good materials). They would buy a well performing laptop. Remember, just because a laptop is out of warranty does not mean it will fail. I'm running a nearly 10 year old Pismo as well as my MacBook. It has never gone wrong (although the battery only lasts 30 minutes now). A few years ago, I bought a 3 year old Powerbook 12" for £500. I ran it for a few years. Nothing went wrong with it (it was stolen in the end).

Are you also trying to tell me a maxed out 1st gen MacBook Pro 17" for £500 would be a bad deal :eek:? Boxed as new and working perfectly? According to you, that is a bad deal!

Some people want a nice looking laptop with pretty good performance. You get a good one by buying an old one!

16. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Buy used

Buying used is for people with the stomach, but I think it is totally worth it, especially great for the bang/buck ratio.
    And you don't contribute to the buying frenzy, not everything has to be new. Just have to be picky about the seller though

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Darn it, change the title just a bit, title threw me since it looked like you were selling the machine.

aka, advice on a purchase of a secondhand Macbook

18. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

19. marksandvig macrumors regular

Honestly, im still rocking my macbook original core duo... I planned on getting a new one once the apple care ran out (~a month left) but it still seems plenty fast. Personally, i dont think there is a big enough difference for me to drop another $1500+ right now, atleast for another year. I would however buy new with apple care, feels like your computer will last forever. It also depends on how well you treat your things.

20. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

Caveat emptor.
    I would consider a refurb with a warranty but never a 3 year old laptop without a warranty, even if I was prepared to put up with outdated technology.

21. Global Delight macrumors newbie

Buying a second hand MacBook or MacBook Pro could be alright, but what about the licenses of the software installed on that system? I mean, normally we tend to 'Accept' the License Agreement/ Terms and continue with the installation ;) But that 'BIG' document does allow you to transfer license of the software that is installed?:confused:

22. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

www.mac2sell.net is a great online resource to guess the value of a used mac. It's a bit on the lowball side IMO, but it can somewhat assure you that you're not getting screwed.

The core duos run hotter than the core2's. They're not powerbook hot, but they can be a little toasty. They only take up to 2 gigs of ram max. XP on parallels or vmware needs at least 3 gigs to run decently, IMO. Therefore, I'd suggest sticking to boot camp if you want to run windows apps on it.

If you're going to be doing just consumer stuff with it, and can get it for a good price, rock on.