How much would you pay for 4G unlimited data on your ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BFizzzle, May 29, 2012.

?

How much would you pay for Unlimited 4G LTE on Ipad?

1. $50-$75

34 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. $75-$100

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. $100-$125

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. $125+

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. I wouldnt use it and am happy with current plans.

24 vote(s)
    34.3%
  1. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

Id honestly pay up to $100 a month for unlimited 4G Lte through att, and cut my time warner 50/5 broadband out ($75 a month). Anyone else agree?

I dont see how att cant find a price that is enough to sustain the unlimited "strain"

Whats your guys price you would pay? Thoughts?

2. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

I'll be the first jerk. I would pay $29.99. Which is what I do pay for it!

3. iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

I'm with stupid :D $29.99/mo.

4. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

If you were really getting "unlimited" data that would be great. You're capped. I think the OP is referring to "really" unlimited data.

5. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I'd pay $49.95 for unlimited LTE(no BS strings attached). Or $74.95 if they offered unlimited LTE along with hotspot tethering with the no strings policy.

6. iCrosoft, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012

iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

"If you have a 4G LTE device you will not be affected."

Sorry, can't say the same for AT&T.

Hotspot (tiered or unlimited) is also free on the Verizon iPad 3. Pretty glad I chose VZW over AT&T.

7. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I don't want unlimited data. I would like maybe 2GB a month including tethering for maybe $10. I'll use WiFi for the heavy lifting.

It is interesting though. I'm planning to do what many others seem to be doing and that is to replace my MBP with an iMac and only carry the iPad. In that case I don't need tethering, just data. I plan to use something like Splashtop to connect to the iMac remotely in case I need a file or something like that.

I tried this the other night and it works really well on the local network. I imaging things slow down over the internet.

8. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

9. Holoshed macrumors regular

Right now I pay mid 30s for 5gigs on AT&T and I do not find myself going near it like I thought I would but I do not DEPEND on it that often.

To keep with the topic and question, I would pay 40-50 USD. It would be able to do stuff without worrying, like when I was out or on vacation.

I used to have a Time Warner Cable mobile internet hotspot which was 3g through Sprint and 4g through Clear but I could never use it because the 3g side was such a pain in the butt and Clear wasnt in a whole lot of places.

I dont really miss unlimited as much as I thought but me being the weirdo I am, I would pay more for the chance to do unlimited. Heck its why I pay for unlimited Usenet vs block accounts, use TWC instead of AT&T (no caps) and use Sprint right now on my phone over say AT&T.

I, like most people (there was a survey done) will pay more for the CHANCE of "all you can eat" even if you eat less than the cheapest price's allotment.

10. iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

It's funny how unlimited was offered for basically the same price as their capped plans now. So consumers pay the same amount but the burden of monitoring usage is now on the consumer and overage is a penalty towards the consumer but another gain in profits for the company. Devious.

11. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

We can thank all the 100-gig-gluttons for that. "I want the best value for my money so I will keep YouTube on 24/7, OMG this battery is short-lived!!"

12. iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

Do you even have proof of that even taking place? How does one even keep YouTube on 24/7?!

Even if that were true, it's irrelevant and the same as someone leaving their cable television on. It's both streaming data and ultimately travels thru the same network, the Internet.

Unlimited data being no longer offered has absolutely NOTHING to do with the top 5% of users. It's about money, profits. AT&T and Verizon have made that clear. Google it.

13. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I'm in this boat. I would gladly pay $100/month if it included unthrottled tethering. Either AT&T or Verizon, doesn't matter to me. And it's for the same reason - I could drop by Roadrunner Extreme connection and end up saving a few bucks.

14. shinobi-81, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

It can't compare to keeping the cable TV on, since it's a different infrastructure. This is about how the cell-towers are being overloaded by some of the users, and FTR, I think cabled internet and fiber-optics should still be all-you-can-eat for a fixed monthly fee.

But by all means, keep telling yourself that using three-figured amounts of GB per month is something all the Unlimited-users should be able to to simultaneously, without straining the network and without encouraging the carriers to discontinue those plans.

15. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

That makes no sense. I know I use probably 100-200GBs of downloads per month on the home connection.

You are asking Verizon or AT&T to give you a huge amount, at minimum 100GBs of unlimited for $100? That's $1/GB. Right now, they charge you like $20/GB.

If you paid $2000 per month, they may actually take you up on your offer. :confused:

16. BFizzzle thread starter macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

thank you :)

17. BFizzzle thread starter macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

lol then how do companies like clear mobile exist? they offer unthrottled mobile 4g for home broadband. Designed for home internet. its wimax not LTE, but none the less they can do it.

18. OneShotos macrumors newbie

:mad: Not one RED cent! Because the Providers will not keep their end of the bargain. Unlimited data = 3GB?? Seriously they said mobile users are eat up all their bandwidth.... yet they add millions on new smart users plans every month! Maybe the Providers should have a moratorium on new sell, since they don't have the bandwidth!

We have the Fast mobile system around!!!! but you can only use 15K per month

19. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

right now at&t and verizon are setting arbitrary limits and arbitrary overage fees. they cannot and have not proved that these tiered pricing plans have improved their network, except for getting more $$ from consumers

20. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I've heard that the high bandwidth users were setting up phones as torrent servers which meant they were running flat out most of the time.

21. noteple macrumors 65816

If I had LTE speeds at home I would pay what I pay my cable Internet provider and drop them. $39.00.

22. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Because they have so few customers because their service is so "area specific" and you rarely get the speeds they promise. Sprint is dropping their service on new phones so now they will be lucky to last a couple more years.

23. iCrosoft, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

It can, and what are cell towers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_high_frequency#Television

A cell tower would not be overloaded by SOME subscribers, it is overloaded by ALL. The capacity of a single local cell tower is shared EQUALLY by ALL local subscribers. The more subscribers using their service, the more it gets split up EQUALLY.

The ideal solution would be to add more capacity right? Meet the demands of the consumers right? Instead, AT&T is meeting the demands of their share holders.

I believe a consumer should be able to user their data as they see fit, for personal use. If you've signed up for a flat-rate/unlimited access contract, it should be so. Now if one was to use the flat-rate/unlmited access for commercial purposes, then that would be wrong.

And again, all the 100gb gluttons (I don't approve of this as it assosiates 100gb usage with a stimga), or all unlimited data users for this matter, has nothing to do with the discontinuation of the unlimited data plan; pure profits.

ULTIMATELY everyone is limited by the max download speed. Which is the same for EVERYONE on a 3G network. That's right, the unlimited data users share the same download speeds and do not strain the network anymore than the tiered user; they are just supposed to be allowed to use it as long as they want. Instead, AT&T has come up with this tactic of creating a blacksheep out of them; using them as an excuse to throttle and limit EVERYONE (especially penalizing unlimited data contract owners). Disgusting.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/fast-atts-3g-internet-31768.html

10 million unlimited data users using their "data" simultaneously

is no different than

10 million tiered data users using their "data" simultaneously

in regards to straining the network. The only factor is the number of users on that local network/tower at a given time; regardless of data plan.

The only difference now is, AT&T throttles unlimited data users to a worthless download speed as a result of ones contractual agreement for "unlimited data"; AT&T no longer sharing the towers EQUALLY and giving priority to others. This is what ALL ISP's eventually want to do with the Internet and what consumers need to fight against.

FTR, I do agree that utilizing the 3G service 24/7 is pretty ridiculous; mathematically 320gb/mo. ridiculous

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/How_many_GB_does_1_Mbps_equal

I'm just really appalled by all of this (ISP's taking advantage of the consumers). It's one thing to profit from providing a reliable service and maintaining it but it's another to profit from intentionally overloading your network with subscribers and refusing to expand the capacity to meet demands.

24. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

If tethering was allowed, obviously more than if it is not.

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm fine with 5GB a month with LTE. I barely use that up!