Price Advice How much would you pay for a severely damaged MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Blackberryroid, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackberryroid, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Hi. Just wondering if this thing is still worth something.

13 Inches, Mid 2009
    2.2 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB Of RAM
    160 GB HDD

Major Flaws:
    -No DVD Drive
    -No screws on bottom case (Easily removed)
    -Cracked LCD
    -No iSight Camera
    -No wireless communications (Wifi, Bluetooth)
    -Minor Dents

Geekbench Score - 1200 The processor probably killed itself because of the heavy abuse. Now, it's worse than a netbook.

Okay, that may sound so hideous to the touch, but it still works. Just hook up an external display and the show's on the road.

So, is it still worth something or is it pure piece of garbage?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Geez, maybe $150. There's not much to work with for that, especially with the cracked LCD.

3. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

U'd have to pay me to take something that screwed!

4. Starfox macrumors regular

If ethernet, mouse and trackpad work I might give you $100 for it.

5. Blackberryroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

The Junk Shop could have given me more than that. :rolleyes:

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Seriously, that's about all it's worth based on your description. Okay, so if it didn't have "communications" and a broken LCD, those can be fixed. The dents are virtually unfixable, but what really makes it worthless is your geekbench scores. Looking at geekbench, even using the 32-bit benchmark (which most get lower scores in 32 compared to 64) it should be getting around 3000. So now you are trying to sell a computer, that you can't even use as a decent desktop because at best you have a severly hampered computer and at worst you have a computer that could die at any day....

I'd take whatever you can get for it and run....

8. Blackberryroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

I know, right? A guy offered $600 for this computer. I declined, hoping someone would offer larger. I guess I was wrong.

9. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Was he blind?:cool:

10. Blackberryroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Yeah, all of them works perfectly.

11. blevins321 macrumors 68030

That might be worth about $120 to someone looking for a HTPC. I figure it's probably about as powerful as a first or second gen Intel Mini.

12. B6DWAL macrumors newbie

B6DWAL

I'd personally pay around $100. So yeh, may be ideal for someone wanting to use with an external display.

13. Fishrrman macrumors G3

One has to ask...

How did it get that damaged?
    Was it run over by a truck?
    Or, just used as a weapon in a bar fight? :)

14. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

In GOOD shape these things are about $600. C2D are long in the tooth (I have one myself) and can easily be found for this price range, or less.

I would say, no more than $100 as well, it needs a lot of work to get back to being a reliable machine.

15. 725032 Guest

Why is it so damaged... Is this laptop legally sourced?

Sounds dodgy to me

16. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Op is the battery functional and was it installed when doing the Geekbench. As I recall the Macbooks go into low power mode when the battery is missing or completely dead.

I couldn't see anyone going over $100. It would take about $325 in parts to rebuild it going through eBay. For someone looking to rebuild it they would need to save a lot over simply buying a fully functional one used.

The only value it has is for parts. Of which the only thing left worth anything is the logicboard. Which I could get one guaranteed to work for less than $350 not one in unknown condition. If I was in the market for something like that even for parts the most I'd give is $125. As I'd be gambling on the fact that the motherboard is fine and the problem was with your testing procedure.

If someone is indeed foolish enough to give you $600, jump on it and run once the cash is in hand.

It was probably a Nigerian prince offering to put the money in an escrow account at the United National Bank of Nigeria with all monetary distributions to be made at the onset of shipping.:rolleyes:

17. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

It does seem that African royalty tend to have a lot of offspring, but the number princes' in Nigeria willing to pay good money for stuff is amazing.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

These comments just indicate you're a troll. $600 might be reasonable if it was in perfect working order. In that condition $50 would surprise me. The people suggesting $100-150 haven't actually paid you.

19. Starfox macrumors regular

Cool, now since you just joined I wouldn't trust you to do the transaction here, but if you ever intend to sell it put it up on eBay with a Buy It Now and for $100, send me a link. Ciao.

20. Blackberryroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

That's because it WAS in good shape when I offered him this MacBook Pro. Well, years came by and this happened.

So. If you bought this thing you'd actually try to get it back to normal instead of using it as it is?

I didn't expect that answer.

----------

Oh. My. God. Somebody actually wants it. Thank you for answering my question. I realized that it still has a value.

I'm not planning to sell it, though. Maybe in a few decades when it becomes a collectior's item. I'll sell it for $5,000. Them I'll buy a 12 core Xeon MacBook Air.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.