How much would you pay for this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crashwins, Jan 2, 2013.

1. crashwins macrumors member

Looking at a used 2009 MacBook Pro 17" in solid conditions and AppleCare until April this year. Basically I want a used MacBook to tide me over until the June release of the latest models when I'll be more fiscally comfortable.

Here's the model: MC226LL/A

What would you pay used for this; will it handle FCP and Photoshop ok? I'm not making big-budget movies here, but the machine does look like it has adequate power.

Thanks - as always - for the help!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.
    Yes, easily.

3. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

$640, including about $10/month for the remaining 4 months of AppleCare.

This assumes that everything works, and there are no imperfections in the display, no scratches on the body, no sticky keys on the keyboard, battery recently replaced (within last year), etc. In other words, "like new" condition.

4. crashwins thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm thanks. I always felt like Amazon wasn't very reliable for appraising computers. I mean it has this thing down for $1300 as a starting price - it's clearly not that. eBay always seemed good to get a sense of what people are actually "paying" out there for something. I'll check Mac2Sell and see what the price is. Appreciate that. And I'll have to check on the battery too.

I understand there was a replacement of the Mobo about 1.5 years ago bc of a little spillage. I guess it was very minor, but Apple took care of it. This doesn't have me worried because it was awhile ago (thus the computer functions correctly), but I never do like to hear about that stuff lol.

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Sold a base 2010 17inch MBP with AppleCare until Aug 2013 for $1000 on CL - in a city of 1 million people. Took 3 weeks to sell. Was in good physical condition. Sold this in early December.

6. crashwins thread starter macrumors member

Good to know. I did a national Craigslist search for this computer and I saw an average of about $1000 - of course that doesn't mean a lot bc people aren't necessarily paying that.

This one is being sold to me for $500. So seems like a good deal and I could probably load it up with software and flip it for $500 in June. I'm being frugal bc I just got laid off and lost my corporate Mac and I think it's a weird time to shell out $1300+ for something new right now. Rather wait for the next gens

7. crashwins thread starter macrumors member

I just found out the computer has 783 cycles of the battery. Apple rates it to 1000. How much are these to replace -- anyone know? Will I be experiencing severe battery drain with it? Honestly, I really can't expect myself to bring this 17" beast around much to places where I'd need to plug..Not a coffeeshop kind of rig :) Thanks!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You only need to replace it when it no longer holds sufficient charge to suit your needs.

Battery Replacement
    Replacing the built-in battery in your MacBook Pro
    Replacing the Battery in your MacBook Air
    Intel-based Apple Portables: How to replace or service a built-in battery

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.