How much would you pay per month for handset insurance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bacong, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

Let's say AT&T decided to let people buy handset insurance finally for the iPhone. You pay a certain premium per month and if your phone breaks, you get a replacement.

So, how much would you be willing to spend extra per month?

2. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

In South Africa we already get this option it costs about $13 p/m (all risks cover: theft, breakage, stupidity etc. just not negligence).

3. t-oliveira macrumors newbie

t-oliveira

I think we have em here , but i'd pay just like 13$ like the other poster said , i dont pay a penny atm .

4. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure we have here in Australia on optus for $9 a month.

Which is pretty good but i didn't go for it.

5. Mac-Lady macrumors member

I pay $14.99/month for the Best Buy protection it covers everything except loss. You do not have to pay a deductible if you need to get a replacement.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not more than $5/month. Even then, not sure I would get it.

7. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Same here. Have you had any experience with using it? I signed up for it when I bought the phone and am deciding whether to keep it or not. Im switching my homeowners insurance at the end of this month and am going to see what they offer as well.

8. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I pay £7.50/month with O2. It covers everything, even if I dropped it in a pint. It covers worldwide too, which is good, as I broke my phone when in the US last year, and they sent a new one out to me. So I have had my moneys worth.

I guess anyone will be willing to pay whatever they deem necessary for piece of mind. I am happy to, and thankfully I do.

9. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

10. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

$5 a month times 12 = $60

$60 is only about $20 more than what I paid for my case. So I would pay $5 in order to go caseless.

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The same price that the carrier charges for every other phone...

12. jimmy83 macrumors 65816

Iam the same, but doubt they will replace for water damage?:confused:

13. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

They do cover water damage, this is the one thing I checked before taking the insurance up.

http://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phoneinsurance

14. Macjames macrumors 6502a

i pay £10 for my 3GS with o2 and it covers everything including accidental damage.

15. jimmy83 macrumors 65816

water damage?

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Ok that's an argument I can almost buy... except by now I'm used to having mine in the case so I'd still be out the bucks for it.

I dunno. Ever since I said Zero so fast in my earlier post, I've been feeling somewhat superstitious about it. Like tomorrow I'll be someplace and set the damn thing atop the car for a minute to unlock the car or something and then I'll drive away and the thing gets flying lessons. I lost a little money-purse with $40 in it that way once so maybe I have learned that lesson permanently but I doubt it.

17. Mac-Lady macrumors member

No, I just feel better or should I say more free with this protection. I can not have a case and if I drop it I can get a replacement on the spot. I always had to be so careful and always worrying am I going to trip the water sensor is this or that going to happen now I really don't. But I have not heard anything bad about it.

18. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

They should cover it. My understanding is that they cover all accidental damage. If I were to drop my iPhone in a pint of the finest Amstel, they should replace it.

19. anubis macrumors 6502a

Holy crap, $14.99/month is a RIPOFF. Most home and renters insurances can add a "rider" for things like iPhones that cover everything (including loss, theft, and accidental damage) with $0 deductible for like $40/year.

20. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Like I said in my post before I was going to look into this. But I have also heard horror stories about premiums being jacked up and policies being cancelled over making claims like this. I mean come on my homeowners insurance costs $450 a year, I could see where they would be pissed about paying for my $2000 laptop or $700 phone. It almost seems not worth it to me to mess with.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, $15 a month is a ripoff, but I wouldn't try and cover it with my home owners insurance.

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The deductible's are always the questioning part, that and how many can you replace.

23. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

yep you sure can.