Price Advice How much would you value this macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Astroboy907, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Just getting a feeler out for this to see if I could possibly sell it on ebay before the new ones come out. Might be able to snag a core i7 if I sell it soon.

Specs:
    15 inch, Late 2008 MBP
    8gb RAM (or 2gb if I want to keep my current RAM)
    160gb HDD
    2.66 intel Core 2 Duo

All new battery, 1 cycle on it.
    DVD drive sometimes acts up, but reads most discs

Laptop suffered a small spill before I owned it. Spill did not affect functionality of laptop in any way. Keys have been individually cleaned of spill residue.

I have put a new display assembly on the laptop, as well as new glass. \While doing so I modded the computer and made the apple logo light up blue. I modded the keyboard backlight blue, as well as the sleep light.

So what do you think? The computer has been through a lot, but it functions perfectly. Just hoping if maybe it would sell for a lot, I can pick up a Quad core if they sell for cheap after WWDC.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay, or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

3. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Mac2Sell says $900, which I cannot get out of it :)
    I'd be happy for $700 though...

4. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Well there's your answer.

5. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Well, I am asking for what you would pay for it :)
    That would be my reserve probably though..

6. RedCroissant Suspended

I would pay at most $600 for it. Given the ODD acting up, the fact that you had to replace things and then modded them, it might not run Lion very well given the older C2D, and if you drop it down to only 2GB of RAM, then $500 would be the limit.

7. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I've been running on it for 2 weeks now. ODD works fine 90% of the time, only rejected 1 data disk so far. Lion runs perfectly fine on the C2D (at 3 and 8gb or RAM), and the drive on it is running SL.

I just don't know what to do... total, it cost me about $550, so hoping for at least to break even/make a profit.

Everything works though, and has not acted up at all...

8. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

Personally, I'd pay around $500 for it, but maybe I'm just cheap ;)

9. RedCroissant Suspended

Sorry about that, I meant to say Mountain Lion instead of Lion. I should have known that Lion runs well because I am still using my 2009 iMac and running Lion on it. I also want to upgrade to ML when it is released, but don't know how my machine will handle it.