Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I want to know how it work: if I have 2 monitor, in the external I'm playing a game (full screen obviously) and when I die i wanna switch to the MacBook Air screen to do other stuff; how can I switch? I mean if I turn around the mouse in-game I can't exit from my current display to switch the other because I'm running a full-screen game.. (I guess so, since I didn't try Mavericks.)

Please explain to me how does it work..

PS: Currently on Mountain Lion I can't use 2 display (for example play in 1 and browse internet with the other..). Is this a limitation of this current version of OS X or it's me doing something wrong..?

jdrsqrd

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011
So currently it's pretty straight forward. The two monitors act independently of one another. Example:

You're playing a game on monitor A. Monitor B can be running a video, web browser, whatever without monitor A being affected. Both monitors can have their apps in full screen (and it doesn't mess up the other monitor). If you're playing a full screen game you can Cmd+Tab and that should let your mouse free to move between monitors (the game may minimize in some cases. Just play the game in windowed fullscreen mode and that should fix that problem)

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Please explain to me how does it work

With Mavrix it's like having two separate machines running side-by-side each doing separate things. Apps on either display (or both) can be Full screen or not. Your mouse isn't locked to a single monitor.

PS: Currently on Mountain Lion I can't use 2 display (for example play in 1 and browse internet with the other..). Is this a limitation of this current version of OS X or it's me doing something wrong..?
Currently in ML, if one of those applications is running full screen the other monitor is useless. Mavrix fixes this.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
With Mavrix it's like having two separate machines running side-by-side each doing separate things. Apps on either display (or both) can be Full screen or not. Your mouse isn't locked to a single monitor.

Currently in ML, if one of those applications is running full screen the other monitor is useless. Mavrix fixes this.

What about VLC? When I play a video VLC on Mavericks, my 2nd screen gets blacked out. Don't know if it's VLC or Mavericks causing it.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
What about VLC? When I play a video VLC on Mavericks, my 2nd screen gets blacked out. Don't know if it's VLC or Mavericks causing it.
I haven't used VLC since Snow Leopard. MPlayerX instead.

I'd assume your problems are with VLC itself as everything else I use works pretty much as expected. The only thing annoying about using MPlayerX Full Screen on a 2nd monitor is that the OSX menubar stays there (which is a feature of Mavrix now).

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
There is a downside - you can't have a window spanning both screens.
In Mission Control Preferences make sure this is toggled off. Log out/back in again:

2013-08-25 01.15.10 pm.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.