How my iMac caught a Thief in my room.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GimmeSlack12, Feb 7, 2008.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Wow, congrats. That's quite lucky the iMac was able to caught that.

BTW there are security apps that only takes pictures / videos when there is motion.

I would put a lock on that door. $10-$20 for the cheapest locks. Takes 15 minutes to install.

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

that is pretty cool-- glad you got your stuff back and you have good eyes...i didn't notice the blur of the girl until i watched it a second time!

4. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Wow. What are the chances that it would snap a shot at that exact moment. Glad you got your guitar back!!!

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

iMac just totally paid for itself there.

Lucky you had it recording.

6. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I know, I know! The iMac and Guitar are now total bff's. Like Milo And Otis.
    [​IMG]

7. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

A brand spankin new iMac in the room and they go for the guitar.

8. tennisplaayer11 macrumors member

Lol true. That's insane though how the picture was taken at exactly the right time to catch the thief.

9. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Could be for a number of reasons:

a) The Guitar was much easier to take rather then unplugging the iMac, taking the cords, etc.
    b) Someone who just got a new computer?
    c) Friends would notice new iMac/stolen iMac, but might not notice guitar without stickers
    d) They work for Bill Gates :rolleyes:

10. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Lucky break, I'm glad you got back your guitar. I'm just wondering if you spared her being charged because she is female? Let me rephrase that: If it were a male who had stolen your guitar would you have pressed charges?

I probably would have done the same. I'm just wondering if that played a role in your decision considering you were so surprised it was a female to begin with.

11. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yes I was surprised it was a female, but until I got the guitar fingerprinted I was ready to press charges. The detective said nothing solid was printed and that even though I had some good evidence it wasn't 100% and it would require a lot of time and guarantee nothing in the end. They also would have to hold my guitar for evidence. If I wanted to guitar back I had to sign off on closing the case.

Ultimately I wanted to make sure this girls' name was mud to me, and all of my friends and their friends. We have a very tight group in the city and to be blacklisted from this group I consider punishment enough. I don't think she's a bad person I just think she is just so so pathetic.

12. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

You are a very nice, wonderful person for dropping the charges.

I have a guitar with a similar story to yours, although it was bought for me by an aunt who has since died.

If I had found out who did it, whether I got the guitar back, I would have probably turned their skull into jello with a pipe wrench, but then again, I don't really tolerate theft. Utmost cowardice, repugnant actions for a human being.

Awesome you got it back, though!

13. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

That's really cool.

However, you should've pressed charges against that girl. She is obvioulsy not your friend (if she is) if she stole your guitar.

I don't know tho, I personally don't take that kinda crap easily and if that happened to me I would have had her prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Good thing I have the FBI on speed dial.:p

14. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

And if she had taken the mac, there'd be no evidence. They'd still think it was a male.

I'm not saying it's a nice guitar, but if you're going to theive, do it right. If there were any computer made for stealing it would be the iMac, the latest no doubt. Even if you did just get a new computer, it's still at least a $2000 computer and probably better than the Dell I bet they bought.

(I'm not really that devious and I'm not promoting stealing anything!)

I think she knew about the guitar and went there specifically for that.

15. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I was willing to, but like I said, the detective was speaking on experience saying this is likely to go no where and just waste a lot of time (and possibly money). For a person who doesn't hold grudges, this is the one exception.

EDIT: I still don't know "WHY" she did it either. I will follow up though on that one.

16. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Makes sense. I had a scare with one of my guitars about 10 years ago. A friend of mine borrowed it without asking while I was away. He left a message on my answering machine the next morning that he had it. After an evening panic I wasn't too impressed with him when he returned it to say the least.

How do you think she got in your house? I'm guessing she was mutual friends with some of your roommates which would give her access to your room but how would she walk out of your place without one of them noticing her carrying your guitar?

17. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Well I am truly glad you got your guitar back. Now, go give your iMac some lovin:D

18. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Wow what are the chances of that photo being taken at that exact time it did. Brilliant. I'm glad to hear you got your priced possession back :D

19. ewxlt macrumors regular

20. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

If she does it again, send her away for the rest of her life. Or as long as you could send one away for stealing a guitar.

21. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Probably three months.

22. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Digg Digg Digg.
    Dude I am so animate about this chick realizing how many people in the world understand how messed up what she did was. This is the retaliation I want on her. Yeah I got a bit lucky with my iMac, but karma's a b!tch isn't it!.

23. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

People make fun of me for believing in Karma. Then a while later... BAM!!! Something bad happens to them.:D

To answer your question, yes, Karma is a b!tch. *big grin*