How noisy are iMacs and Mac Pros?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrBloke, Dec 17, 2007.

1. MrBloke macrumors newbie

I'm planning on re-entering the Mac world early next year. I'm either going to go for a high end iMac (24") or a low end mac pro. The main decider will be the price and my available cash.

One issue that concerns me is noise. In short, how loud are the various machines? My current PC sits there making a noise like a small turbine and I really want something as near-silent as possible as a replacement.

Thanks for any help.

2. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

The iMac is quiet, very quiet. Only hum on my desktop comes from an external drive. Can't comment on a MP though, but being much bigger I assume they're are probably a little more of a sound producer.

iMac 2.8GHz

3. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

The MP is very silent, depends on the drives you choose, the seagates are silent, especially entreprise class drives.
    The fans turn on when the computer is doing intensive tasks, like rendering. But even in that case the noise is low.
    The imac is silent to, not like a MB(P) but silent.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Both the iMac and the Mac Pro are very quiet - probably a lot quieter than your existing machine, from what you say. Here at work we've got an external hard drive here that's louder than our Mac Pro (and the drive ain't exactly what you'd call noisy...).

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

iMacs do not produce sound, lol. One time I had to reset the PRAM and on startup some fans kicked in... I was so used to the silence I thought it was about to take off or something!

6. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well to but it in "blonde" style terms

I just tried to turn up the volume on my iMac to see if the fans were actually on! Im such an idiot! Ha

7. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

My iMac is whisper quiet! My laser printer makes more noise....if the monitor was not on I would swear that the imac was not on!

8. sup4mn macrumors newbie

my 12'' powerbook is a lawnmower most of the time :mad:

tis why i will be upgrading to the imac!
    ive realized i dont really need a laptop anymore and need something with a much bigger screen. hopefully going from 12 to 24 will be enough :p