How noisy is the 3ghz 8 core MP 4 Big Audio sessions.?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Timeline, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Timeline macrumors newbie

I have read forum complaints on 3ghz machines. Can someone confirm this? I usually push the cpu's to the limits with Audio applications.

Using tons of plugin inserts, VI's and tracks and a few reverbs usually push most machines hard to their limits. Performance is the key when doing this type of work. We use most of the throughput and all the CPU's and power available.

If you use your new machines like this please chime in on fan noise.

Thanks

Gary Brandt
    Engineer/Producer/Artist

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Not that loud at all. Do you plan to record IN the same room that your Mac is in? Usually people have separate rooms for recording sessions.

By the way, I don't think there are any audio apps that will push 24Ghz. Only visual applications will be able to do that and math calculations.

3. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Though I'm not entirely into pro audio, I have an 8-core, currently crunching for SETI 24/7 pushing to the limit at an ambient of 32°C (tropical country) with CPU fan running on 1200+rpm. From what I can tell, noises stood at about 40 - 50 decibels in a quiet room, somewhere around my UPS sounds while running on a battery, but music playing on my hi-fi system usually masks the noises.

So if you're into pro recording, I would suggest you to isolate your Mac Pro, if possible, to get rid of those unwanted noises onto your recorded tracks.