How noisy is your ATI 2600?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wheezy, Oct 15, 2008.

1. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I just bought a refurb MP (sig) with the standard ATI card, but it's ... the loudest part of my system (even with 4 HD's). With nothing going on, the fan spins up, slows down, spins up, slows down, like it's pulsating. Is that normal?

Also, the 2nd Dell 2005FPW that I bought won't work via DVI with it, and I can't tell if it's the card or the monitor. The monitor works fine with the VGA and the adapter, so I'm leaning more towards the DVI output on the monitor. But with the annoying fan, I'm not so sure.

2. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

mine's not noisy at all. i have used an apple 23 inch cinema display with it at 1920x1200 resolution without any noise. i do have a 3870 that makes noise though, even with regular use. the 2600 was silent.

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Wheezy. I had that same noise issue when I got my mac pro (Refurb as well).

i got the genius to swop out my graphics card for a new one. And now everything is good. :cool:

He said it was an acknowledged issue with the ati 2600. So just make sure it's the ati card, and then either take it to the genius bar and have them swap it out, or ask them to send you a new one and install it yourself. That should fix the problem.

Other than that, this refurb has been a real beauty. Everything is perfect.

hope this helps

4. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I never thought my 2600 was noisy.

But after I took mine out and put in the 3870 I thought my mac was broken:eek: because it did not make any hummm at all!

So yeah the 2600 is pretty noisy, just not really noticeable till it's gone.

Now tell me why ****ing DVD burner sounds like a jet engine.

5. wheezy thread starter macrumors 65816

wheezy

Awesome, so the 'mooing' isn't supposed to be normal? I thought having it spin up and slow down and repeat repeat repeat was odd, especially if I wasn't doing anything. I'll call up and see what's up, lugging it back up to the apple store is a pain, too much of a walk with 50lbs.

6. wheezy thread starter macrumors 65816

wheezy

So you got a 3870 that was silent? Nice! I've only read posts where it just goes full blast. It seems like a nice solid upgrade, although I really have no issue with the 2600. I'm used to a Intel Integrated :p