How: not play low rated tracks?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by OldCorpse, May 3, 2008.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I've been trying to rate tracks on my gigantic iTunes collection, and sometimes when I just let the tracks play sequentially, I'd like to skip tracks which I rate with only one star. Is there a way to do that by some kind of global setting that basically says "never play any track with a one star rating"? If there is, I can't find it. TIA!

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can create a live-updating Smart Playlist with Rating of at least 2 Stars as one of the criteria and then just play from that playlist.

3. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Thanks, WildCowboy. I have a habit of just picking an album and playing it straight off my hard drive (through my home stereo) - under those circumstances I don't fuss around with playlists :)

I think the ability to set global rules for playing would increase the flexibility and utility of iTunes tremendously - as it is now, I feel like we're still living in the middle ages of application user-friendliness :)

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I see what you're saying, but your Library needs to give you the option to play everything, since that's the directory of all of your files.

Setting up the playlist I mentioned takes only a few seconds, will live update as you continue to rate songs, and you can sort it by album or artist if you wish. In just about every respect, if behaves exactly like your Library, except that it doesn't contain songs with fewer than two stars.

5. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Cool, WildCowboy, I see your point. I'll try this. Thank you for your help!