How NOT to brick your iPod on 2.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MattGTO, Jul 13, 2008.

1. MattGTO macrumors regular

MattGTO

THis may be the only reason it bricks, it may not be, but its the only one I've found:

If you hard-reset the iPod while the app store is trying to load, it will brick your ipod.

Just my experience.

2. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

any word on how to unbrick your ipod? or will an itunes restore do the trick?

3. MattGTO thread starter macrumors regular

MattGTO

Bricked mine last night, if you go into recovery mode while your iPod is docked, iTunes will restore it.

4. pisces03x macrumors regular

I bricked my iPod on the Facebook app by app-jumping (hopping from app to app to app quickly)... I didn't know it would die ;D

But after putting it into Recovery mode (and waiting like half an hour) it restored itself to factory settings and re-synced with my iTunes library.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Bricked mine twice now.
    * Once by trying to download an app on the touch in the background whilst browsing the app store. Touch just hung and wouldn't reboot.
    * Second time was Cube Runner - it just wouldn't load and my touch ended up resetting itself and hanging on the apple logo boot screen.

A restore from iTunes worked both times (and thank goodness for the new auto-backup). Very time consuming and a bit of a piss off really.

6. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

this has happened to my mutltiple times.

the first 3 times it was forced into reboot, it was bricked (luckily i hadnt spent the time syncing music/vids) and restored.

after the 3rd time, i did a COMPLETE erase of content and settings (which took 2 hours, and i didnt mind)

the next 4 times i think, it was forced into reboot, but came back.

for those that are getting bricked, try COMPLETELY wiping content and settings, for me it helped prevents future 'bricking'