How NOT to scam Apple for a new laptop...

NATO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Linkety Link

I don't think this has been brought up on the forums already, but I thought this would be of interest to the readers here. Read the article in question and the comments on digg.com.

It's pretty clear to me that this guy has deliberately taken a blow torch to his Macbook and is claiming it went on fire. The damage doesn't really add up and the guy seems to be trying to drum up publicity seemingly in order to 'force' Apple to replace the said laptop.

Check out the link and make up your own minds.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
It does look fishy, and overly exaggerated. A blowtorch to the magsafe connector would have done the job just as well.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Haha, just reading on the comments on the page, and the ones on digg...

someone is going to get owned by the lovely Apple legal team.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
He's too lame, just sell it on eBay and pony up for a MBP, how hard can it be?

He is gonna get burnt big time, if he makes it out.. no pun intended.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I feel sorry for him...for having to resort this to get his mb replaced with a mbp just because he didn't like the mb.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Macbook fire fraud

I thought this was pretty funny. Some rich kid claims his Macbook burst into flames while he was using it and he posted pictures. But then everyone pointed out how incredible his story was, especially since a few days later he was trying to think up ways to get Apple to replace that very laptop. :rolleyes: I'm normally not a fan of Digg, but this was one of the funnier discussions.

[Moderator note: threads merged]

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Youtube Video

He had Youtube video where he's seen whining about the problems his macbook is having. I like how he counts off the rising temperature, but we never actually see it onscreen. It's somewhat entertaining.

He seems to have removed the video though. :mad: It was just up 15 minutes ago too. He must realize everyone know's he's full of s**t.

EDIT: Okay, the video seems to come up and down on Youtube. Here's the link. Maybe you'll be lucky...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSxi3sYgXBU

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
If you are plotting a crime don't announce it beforehand :rolleyes:

HecubusPro said:
He had Youtube video where he's seen whining about the problems his macbook is having. I like how he counts off the rising temperature, but we never actually see it onscreen. It's somewhat entertaining.

He seems to have removed the video though. :mad: It was just up 15 minutes ago too. He must realize everyone know's he's full of s**t.
He certainly is in **** now, having to replace a busted laptop out of his own pocket :cool:

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
vega07 said:
I feel sorry for him...for having to resort this to get his mb replaced with a mbp just because he didn't like the mb.
Pretty sure he's just ruined his MB with no hope for a replacement MBP or even a MB, and he's up for some legal trouble. What an idiot, some people need to learn how to just get a job and earn some money for what they want.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I was cracking up watching his youtube video...

he counted up to 180 degrees Fahrenheit and never showed proof of it.
his voice is irritating as hell.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
What bothers me the most is he made it so obvious, LCD's dont just randomly catch on fire.
I feel sorry for his macbook.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Haha, I love how he counts off the temperature too.

I don't know how people can be so stupid.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
Wow, this guy really is a retard. It may just be me but I don't think your temperature would jump around that much, not to mention he's complaining about it being hot when he's go so many things running. Any computer will run hot when you have your entire menu bar filled with status applications.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
generik said:
I think he took it off :(

It doesn't even point to a video, but redirects to youtube's homepage.
I know. It does that. I don't know why, but it keeps going back and forth. It's been up and down all day. I'm watching it right now though. I'd say just try back occassionally to see if it pops up.

Here's his profile on Youtube as well, with links to more videos where he and his stupid friends throw things like computers off of buildings.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=astonmartonboy2