How notifications work in conjunction with iPhone/iPad

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Avenger, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Avenger macrumors 6502a

I know that if your phone is unlocked and you get a notification you don't get it on your watch. If you open your iPhone or iPad and then look at the notification on your device, it doesn't show up automatically when you look at your watch . You have to flick down on the watch face. Is this how it works? I guess the question it what determines if the notification shows up automatically when you go look at your watch by turning your wrist?

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

My best estimate is that the device you're using at the moment shows the notification first.

I'm guessing that when a relevant notification comes into iCloud, it checks what you're doing, chooses the currently-active device, then sends the notification to that particular device first. It'll do mostly the same thing when you're on your Mac and it's tied in with your iCloud notifications -- you should see a Message come in on the computer screen before the phone dings.

3. Avenger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for explaining it.

4. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I gave it a shot. ;)

For most notifications, iCloud doesn't light up all your devices at the same time. At my home, for example, I've got four devices, which are my Mac, AW, iPhone, and iPad. Most of the time, if I'm actively using one of them, the others don't make any noise when a basic notification comes in.

I've got a friend who texted me to ask why texts weren't showing up on his new AW. I told him to put down the phone and wait for my next text. After it arrived and pinged his watch, he texted back to say, "Got it, it worked."