Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utah_boy2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Middle of Utah
I was thinking in windows world I have used 3.X,9X, and XP. The home computer still uses old 98 and it works fine, albiet slow, with most all applications.

So how often do you update the Mac computers OS? If I bought a used G3 900, with OS 9 could I use most applications still, or do I need OSX?

Jordan

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
utah_boy2 said:
I was thinking in windows world I have used 3.X,9X, and XP. The home computer still uses old 98 and it works fine, albiet slow, with most all applications.

So how often do you update the Mac computers OS? If I bought a used G3 900, with OS 9 could I use most applications still, or do I need OSX?

Jordan
I'm a constant updater. Anytime a revision to the current Mac OS X version or a new version of Mac OS X is released, I download/purchase and install it right away. Many Apple applications and quite a few third-party applications that I've used now require Mac OS X; a fair number of those require Mac OS X 10.2 "Jaguar" or later (a few require 10.3 "Panther" or later).

xhost_plus

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2004
Reno, NV
I update when the update comes out. I always have to have the latest and greatest. As for Windoze updates..... I wait. :rolleyes:

utah_boy2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Middle of Utah
On Average how much does an update cost?

I mean am I getting a whole new OS or just some patches?? It seems that apple OS' come out regularly and that could get expansive :eek: !

Jordan

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
it might be quite a few months before we see 10.4. If you're not the type who needs the latest software all the time, especially if you're someone who's considering just staying on os9, maybe 10.3 would do you fine for a couple years. The advantages of osx over os9 are crazy... 9 was super fast and snappy, but i can't remember how many school assignments i had to restart when my computer crashed and i hadn't saved yet. os x has yet to crash on me since i got it last october. And besides, i don't think there's much software that's being developed to run on os9 anymore. I remember when i first upgraded using the 10.0.3 cd that came with the computer, that was unbearably slow compared to 9. Now i'm on 10.2, and its much much better, the UI isn't quite as snappy as os9, but i hear 10.3 is even better in the speed department. Lol, yeah, i bought jaguar about 4 days before panther was announced. that's about when i joined macrumours, hopefully i wont pull another stunt like that. My plan is to upgrade every second release, so i'm gonna wait till 10.4, and i think that's gonna work out fine. I haven't seen too much software that won't run on jaguar yet, maybe just Safari 1.2, and that's not too big a deal.
Buying panther for 120$ would probably keep you in the game for at least 2 years, and that's if you even care about being very up to date.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Apple will try to encourage everyone to buy the newest OS by, in addition to the new features of the OS, having some applications that won't run on the previous version. Safari 1.2 is a good example. On the other hand, developers aren't going to, generally, require the latest version because it would shrink their market.

I think that the every other OS upgrade plan makes sense. On the other hand, I'm an upgrade fan and have always had the latest version. 10.4 might not inspire me enough though, depending on what it offers. But we'll see.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I update when the new stuff comes out. I don't do it because I'm made of money, I do it because they keep adding new features that make it worthwhile. When they put something out that doesn't have features I need, I'll skip it.

BTW, OS sells for $129--that's pretty constant. It's not an "upgrade" in the Microsoft sense though--where you have to install it over you old OS. It's a complete version.

As for OS 9 on a 900mhz G3--it'll work fine and you'll have lots of applications available. You just might not have the latest version and eventually there will be no support. What do you need to do with the computer? That will dictate whether you really need to upgrade or not.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
panther is the first time i paid for an upgrade of an OS in an existing hardware...

my prev. "upgrades" were all on windows machines and were coupled to new hardware purchases, i.e. i only "upgraded" the OS when i bought a new computer that came with the newest OS...

from here on, i will probably upgrade to 10.4 and maybe even 10.5 on my PB, then purchase a new laptop...

so the answer would be i will upgrade whenever apple releases an OS upgrade.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
utah_boy2 said:

To answer your original question, most current apps do not support OS 9. I'm thinking MS office, iLife, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc. You'd have to look fairly hard to find "vintage" apps to run on your computer. That said, lots of people work in OS 9 all the time. It works fine.

The upgrade to the current OS, Panther, is $129. But if I'm not mistaken, a 900 Mhz G3 should have come with Mac OS X preinstalled--maybe 10.2, which would support most current apps.

I've updated pretty much every time Apple has issued a new OS--it's usually around $100, and I've always seen some aspect of the new software that made it worthwhile to me. Right now, however, I'm pretty happy with Panther, so if 10.4 came out tomorrow, I'm not sure I'd upgrade.

utah_boy2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Middle of Utah
Yeah so it turns out I'm just alittle bit slow it has OS X 9 / 10.3

I saw the number 9 and quit reading.

Still nice to understand better how the newest version work. It as i understand it it a whole new OS, not like MS when its just a little bit of tweaking here and there, and fixing holes so people can see me.

Jordan

Thanks for all the help!

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
since i'm a college student

I usually get what ever OS right away. That means, Windows I have all of them on disk and didn't have to pay a cent though my school (office too). Mac OS 10.2 and 10.3 I got for free, 10.1 was what came on my lap top when I bought it, and I installed 10.3 when I got my PowerMac in August 2003 (Did come with 10.3 installed, just redid it myself to setup partitions). And of course, Linux on my PC too because its a dual boot. Red Hat 9 was done the first day it came out, I havn't updated my PC in awhile, but I might throw on Fedora or something else soon, but 9 is doing just fine. I am always doing the updates on the first day I can.

As for parents computer at home, still runs 98, and since my mom is a teacher and doesn't need to have all her documents go missing due to and update, I wont change that till they get a new computer. Which will be a Mac, or my mom and I will shun my dad. Mom loves my Macs.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
if I need or want something it offers I upgrade if not I don't. that goes for os and apps. I never upgrade just because.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I got my iBook with Jaguar in May, and I don't plan to update until next year the earliest. I don't have a need for it yet.

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
I'm a habitual updater. I'm always on the bleeding edge. You'll find that installing Mac updates, such as 10.3.3 is actually fun. As opposed to installing Windows updates, which always get put off.

All minor updates are free. So 10.x.1, 10.x.2, 10.x.3, etc. are/were all free. Major updates cost you $ such as 10.3, 10.4, 10.5

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Good point made by Utah though... A lot of windows users couldn't care less about using windows 98 even though there is ME, 2000, XP after it. I would probably take that as ignorance, as usually either 1) have slow computers so 98 is the best choice or 2) they don't know anything about the updates, and when they encounter them on other computers, say thats nice and just go home.

The rather small macintosh market has lead to its users knowing a hell of a lot more about their computers than the average windows user. It's my believe that is why we upgrade whenever one comes available (although, there are excepts, like the win 98 people, need to use previous versions, say OS 9).

On top of this, Apple has made it difficult for OS X users, because they force people to upgrade by offing their software only to the new 10.x revision. Usually the upgrades are worth it, and always throw more features than Microsoft has ever included in an upgrade (note 98-ME!)

So yes, it was a fair point. I upgrade everytime one comes out, but I like being a BETA tester :p Like someone else said, a lot of professional Mac Users wait until all their software is supported in the Upgrade.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I like to stick with what works for me.

I used OS 8.1 till 2000, then I upgraded to OS 8.6

I only upgraded to OS 9.0 in early 2001 because my ISP had the dumbest fool in the world working for them and the guy was only trained in how to install a cable modem on OS 9, he only realised he wasn't using OS 9 when he restarted, obviously the control panels and setup being identical wern't enough for the moron. I had to wait 2 weeks for them to finish the job.

I currently run OS 9.2.1

I would upgrade to OS 9.2.2 but the installer on the apple site for the UK version is completely corrupt. I've downloaded it with EVERYTHING and failed to get it to install.

I've had lots of problems with OS 9 on my mac, my onboard audio outputs never show up even though the inputs do and I still get a start up chime. It's slowed my mac quite a bit, protools sessions that would run on a knife edge under OS 8.6 won't run at all without removing loads of plug-ins.

OS X is totally out of the question for me, I only have a beige G3, I use protools LE and heard nothing but complaints about it on the digidesign messageboards, it's only seems to useful under OS X if you're tracking and recording. I won't move to logic, it's too complex and I laugh in the face of anyone who mentions cubase as an option.

I will move to OS X when I get a faster mac, but only if it runs OS 9 aswell, that sort of rules out the G5 aswell.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
barkmonster said:
I will move to OS X when I get a faster mac, but only if it runs OS 9 aswell, that sort of rules out the G5 aswell.
Looks like your Window is closing. The current dual G4 Power Macs are probably the last Macs that will boot into OS 9. Nothing made in the last year or so will do it. If you do get a G5 you'll have to rely on Classic Mode for your OS 9 apps.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
utah_boy2 said:
On Average how much does an update cost? Jordan

A major upgrade costs $129, such as Jaguar or the most recent Panther. Minor upgrades such as 10.3.3 are free.

Jordan[/QUOTE]I mean am I getting a whole new OS or just some patches?? It seems that apple OS' come out regularly and that could get expansive :eek: !

Jordan[/QUOTE]

The major upgrades occur usually on a yearly basis. Personally I was slow to upgrade to X. Just was very familiar wit 9, so hated to change. Every time I had any problem, my wife would say that I should upgrade. So I upgraded to Panther January 26th. Continued with Classic, because all my programs were 9. Now I'm totally X and love the experience.

I have learned the hard way many times, that with a Mac it is best to upgrade. It just seems that the computer know and so will act up. As long as I'm current with my programs all runs smoothly. :)

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I update when the updates are released. By the time each major update is released I need to reorganize my Macs anyway.....and it helps me to do this by clean installing everything. The reorganization and new features help me to justify paying for the updates. Plus I do my part to support apple.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Personally I think the annual updates to OSX are totally worth it, but maybe you disagree... either way OSX 10.2 OR HIGHER IS A MUST

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I bought a 500Mhz iBook in 2001 so that I could use OS X, but at that time it was only 10.0.4, which really sucked. It was way too slow and had almost no application support, so I was running most things in Classic mode, defeating the purpose. When 10.1 came out I took the plunge and never looked back.
I went to 10.2 as soon as I could, as well as with 10.3. I notice that as soon as the OS is updated, all these apps come out that won't run on the older versions so I get paranoid... ahh, but Panther was worth it :)
Jaguar & Quartz Extreme pissed me off because they kicked my old iBook to the curb -and my old 550 TiBook is still sluggish, even with 16mb VRAM :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.