How often are you guys having apps crash on 10.6.1?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by glossywhite, Sep 16, 2009.

1. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Okay, I have a 2009 Mac mini, with 3Gb ram, fresh Snow Leopard, permissions repaired, updated to 10.6.1... and I have apps crashing all over the place.

Namely iMovie 09, Safari (I thought it was 'crash-proof'?), Photo booth, Xcode 3.2 has been known to crash a couple of times too (not as much as Safari and the aforementioned others, though).

I've heard all the usual nonsense; "reinstall SL" - no thanks, done that, and I have trashed goodness knows HOW many .plist files, no fix. This is not meant to be a grumble, I'm just seeking reassurance that it ain't just poor old me that has app crashes at THE most inopportune times... YouTube upload page seems to trigger it quite a lot, Quicktime X, coincidentally, seems to dislike uploading content to YouTube with varying server errors.

Do I revert to 10.5.8, or what?. I don't expect a perfect new OS X version, bug free etc, but I just want some peace of mind.

2. maclook macrumors 65816

unlike your experience, my Safari experience in SL has been great. I used to have it crash all the time in Leopard but it's been silky smooth in SL

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have had Safari crash a few times, nothing major though. I wasn't expecting SL to be totally bug free, its still a lot better than Leopard was at the .1 stage. I would say that by the next couple releases it will be very stable again.

If the crashes mean that you cant work then perhaps you should downgrade.

4. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

I'm using this machine to learn Cocoa with Xcode, to develop Mac & iPhone apps, and I don't like the crashing really... maybe I shall downgrade for now. Thanks.

5. mackhydr4 macrumors member

Zero crash (knock on wood) so far.
    Only issue I have so far is SP3 for XP refuses to install.

6. mslide macrumors 6502a

7. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

rofl - so important ;)

</joke> - yeah, could be a pain

8. rot@ti.org macrumors newbie

Blue screen of death

I was getting blue screens of death (involuntary log outs) daily with 10.6.0. I upgraded to 10.6.1 and now get them less frequently. But one happened just this morning. Nothing in particular triggers them -- I run lots of software but it is pretty standard. I'm thinking Eudora, which hasn't been supported for awhile, may be involved, but haven't found Mail to be its equal so haven't upgraded yet.

MBPro 2.6GHz, 4GB Ram

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Zero crashes for me, but then I'm running 10.6.0. I'm not about to apply the .1 update as there seem to be too many complaints about issues after people applied this update.

10. After G macrumors 68000

After G

No crashes on 10.6.1 so far.

Had one on 10.6.0.

Installing was a pain in the butt though, but traced that to a bad stick of RAM.

11. joehahn macrumors regular

I've started liking Safari more and more since SL!
    I have seen crashes in quicktime, photobooth, and band in a box

12. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Only Firefox for me. I'm sure it's flash related. Glad it's not my primary browser.

13. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I've been working on dumping all the crap that isn't "standard" like Thunderbird and FireFox. Trying to stick with as much, "Apple-issue" stuff as I can. Not saying Apple's software doesn't have problems but so far it's been a crash-free change for me.

14. fishy007 macrumors newbie

When I ran the in-place upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard, I had crashes all the time. Lock-ups, graphical glitches, etc.

I did a clean install of SL and all my problems disappeared. Running 10.6.1 with no problems at the moment.

15. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I have never had it crash, but have had some bugs in safari. I opened the web inspector, closed it and then pages wouldn't load right and the scroll bar disappeared. quit and reloaded and fixed.