How often can you check email?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TemeculaMac, Sep 7, 2007.

1. TemeculaMac macrumors regular

I'm contemplating replacing my blackberry for an iPhone. However, I'm still a bit unsure about email. Any help with the following questions, would be greatly appreciated!

1) Is the mail a "push" or "pull" technology?

2) How frequent can you receive the email?

I've heard you only get emails every 15 minutes, which would make me assume it's pull technology. Unfortunately, I need to read my emails the minute they arrive on my server. The blackberry does a great job getting me my emails quickly. I'm okay with "pull" technology, as long as I can shorten the amount of time I query my server for emails.

Many thanks,
    Gary

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It is pull technology and 15 minutes is the shortest interval.

You can force a check by hitting the email icon.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I believe Yahoo mail is offering a push service, the others are pull.

4. TemeculaMac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick response! It seems like a small app could be developed to check the mail more frequently. I'd be happy with 5minutes. However, it's great to know that you can check it manually at any time.

Sorry...one more question. How many pop accounts can you check with the iPhone - or is it unlimited?

5. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Actually Yahoo Push doesn't really work. It's more like Yahoo Nudge.

6. Gonzlobo macrumors 6502

More often than every 15? Are you serious?

7. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

You will be sorely disappointed with the iPhone mail delivery if you are expecting it to be like the Blackberry.

And yes, as hard as it is for people to believe (poster above me), there are those of us that want and need our emails right away, not 15min from now.

For a phone that is "5yrs ahead of anything out there" as S. Jobs said, they really need to improve mail delivery.

8. TemeculaMac thread starter macrumors regular

Yep...I'm serious. There are many people out there, that WILL lose business/money for every minute missed (including myself). If 15 minutes works for you...great, I'm happy for you. Hopefully I won't need to expand into the importance of this to you.

There's a reason BB is so big in the enterprise environment...I just desperately wished the iPhone would be a bit more competitive. I'm obviously not part of their target market.

Hopefully things will continue to evolve for the iPhone, as I'd love to own one in the future. Many thanks to all the replied!

9. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

if email is critical to your business, then just go with your BB + ipod touch. You get to use a good bit of iphone tech there.

10. Gonzlobo macrumors 6502

Lol. Seriously, if you spend that much time reading email, you're not getting work done.

11. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I love replies like this. This isnt the first thread Ive participated in about push email where someone made similar comments like "do you REALLY need your emails immediately after they are sent?"

As I said in another thread, your usage isnt the same as my usage. Just because your mail delivery is good enough for you, it isnt good enough for some of the rest of us. Is it really asking that much for us to get better mail delivery out of a phone "5yrs ahead of anything out there"?

12. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

i check every 15 minutes .. but it never actually does. best chance is to do it manually. mail is a big letdown on the iphone .. and i dont expect apple to fix it without us having to buy a new phone.

13. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Exactly. I often find 5 min. is too long a interval. I'd rather have 1-2 min, or 30 seconds for that matter. In the world of eBay and stocks, 15 min. is a lifetime, and a lot of lost money.

14. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

you're absolutely right. i really wish apple would fix it so we could check it that often. i assume it'd take a hit on the battery, but it really doesnt matter. my battery lasts long enough as it is .. and i do need more useful email. blackberry's can do it, why cant the glorious iphone?

15. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

People are saying yahoo may be to blame for the push not working properly. Ok, that I can understand. But why wouldnt Apple implement push from a .mac address??

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If Yahoo push mail works decently you could always forward your mail to that.

17. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

well the iphone will never be a sserious business phone until apple fixes the mail issue. imagine a business man waiting to get his email every 15 minutes!

18. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

It doesn't.

19. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

the problem isn't that it's a definable amount of time. as well as being late. sometimes it's 15 minutes, sometimes it's 15 hours. i can see a business person being particular about waiting 15 minutes but I can't imagine using this phone for business with such sketchy mail retrieval. If i think i have mail i manually check and never would trust it to deliver current mail so far.

20. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I find Yahoo Push to work pretty good. However, I would agree it's not perfect.

21. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I have mine set for 15 min and it works well most of the time, but sometimes I will go into email and the last check will have been several hours before. I guess it just likes procrastinating sometimes.

Now I just check it randomly about every hour regardless to see if it's done it's job.

22. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

i have mine set to an hour. unless i'm a businessman, i don't see the need to be so glued to my email.

as an aside, i sometimes get empty emails from google calendar when i don't have any events scheduled for the day and it keeps beeping over and over but it never shows up and i have to log in with safari and manually delete it there. pain in the butt!! apple needs to fix this blank email body error.

23. mizzoucat macrumors regular

I was having problems with Yahoo's push e-mail at first, but for the last week or so, it has been working fine.

24. TemeculaMac thread starter macrumors regular

My guess is that you've never been in an Executive Management position, or had the responsibility of managing mission/time critical data. I don't mean to offend you, but you do need to realize that others RELY on email. In the real world, businesses can lose millions for every minute their servers are down...Doctors are counted on, by the minute...etc.

Hopefully one day, once you've grown up a bit and have true responsibilities, you'll understand where some of us are coming from.

Again, to those who have responded intelligently...MANY thanks! I'm not here to stir up the pot of iPhone owners, just trying to determine if it'd work for me. For now, my BB might be better suited for my needs.

Thanks all!

25. dr_lha macrumors 68000

The iPhone as I see it is not really aimed at people who need the Blackberry style rapid email. For one thing, if you actually want to hear your email arrive with the iPhone you'd pretty much need the thing taped to the side of your head, the alert sound is so quiet.

For my job the iPhone is pretty inadequate for this reason, I rely on the ability to be paged through SMS 24 hours a day. The alert sound on the iPhone is not loud enough to wake me up, or even hear it in anything other than a quiet room. Since getting an iPhone I've had to go back to carrying a pager and can't rely on SMS any more.