iPhone 7(+) How often do you actually use portrait mode?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pika2000, May 21, 2018.

1. pika2000 macrumors 601

For those owning the 7+, 8+, how often do you use the portrait mode?
    When Apple showcased it on their keynote, this feature does look interesting. But then in reality, I wonder how often do people actually use this feature, especially since it's only available for the rear camera on the 7+ and 8+. It would make more sense to have it on the front facing camera (which the X does) for portrait selfies, but even then, do people actually use it often?

Also, Apple said the software will keep learning and do better bokeh as time progresses. How is this improvement be released? Is it only improved when there's an iOS update?

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I use it whenever I can, as recent as last afternoon. I was taking a stroll with my other half by the river when the sun was setting. The lighting was perfect on her face, I couldn’t not use the portrait mode. Very happy with what came out of it. I’ve since edited it and made it better.

3. -Gonzo- macrumors 6502

-Gonzo-

I use it now and then, all depends on what I’m taking a picture of.
    I posted this picture of some homemade ice cream to a group I’m a member of which using portrait mode I was able to remove everything in the background that was showing everything on and around my dining room table.
    [​IMG]
    This was the original
    [​IMG]

4. pika2000 thread starter macrumors 601

That's lighting mode on the 8+/X right? Curious how it works alright with objects. Thanks for sharing. :)

5. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

How did you make the background black? With the phone or a secondary app?

6. -Gonzo- macrumors 6502

-Gonzo-

Just by changing the lighting option in Portrait mode, either as you take it or using the edit function after. I’m using an 8+.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Txguy82 macrumors regular

Txguy82

All the time. Photos come out real good IMO.
    Selfies portrait needs a lot of work still

8. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

[​IMG]

Here’s one from my collection. If used properly it comes out really impressive.

9. osta.doc macrumors member

Makes quite a difference in that photo, for sure.

10. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

I’ve own my iPhone X for 4 months. Used it portrait mode about 5 times.

11. jasoncordelle macrumors regular

jasoncordelle

I use Portrait Mode all the time - taking pics of my kids, wife, dog, nature...
    Have used it since my 7+ and continue to use it all the time.
    IN my library on my iPhone, I currently have 417 photos that were taken using Portrait Mode.
    I may not love them all, but I do really love Portait Mode.

12. dmx macrumors 6502a

Use it all the time on my X for the rear cameras, don’t use the front.

People are continuously impressed by the shots it produces. I’m pretty happy with it.

13. JackieInCo Suspended

I don't take pictures much. I did try portrait mode the first time one day last week just messing with it. Haven't used it since.

14. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

It depends. I only use for special occasions or when I travel to some place new.

Last summer when I went to Malaysia I used portrait mode a lot. But since then I haven't used it much.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It’s a novelty feature. And a great marketing piece for the iPhone camera. I like it, but it’s not something I would regularly use. Similarly to with Live Photos and portrait mode was also introduced.

16. achappy macrumors member

achappy

When I had a 7+ I used it quite a bit (one of the main reasons I went with the Plus) and with the X I use it just as much. I love the feature and I've taken some impressive pictures of my family with it. Even have a few I printed out for my office cube.

I feel like they've improved it or either the X takes better portraits. The blur effect seems stronger now than before creating more of a contrast. I really like it. I haven't looked back at old ones to see if it's just me.

17. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I don’t think the actual bokeh effect is as good as on the Pixel 2, but it works alright when used in correct type of setup.

18. achappy macrumors member

achappy

This is something I'll never understand when it comes to these types of relies. What does the Pixel have to do with the OP's original questions or my replying comparing it to past pictures on an iPhone?

19. forestinjersey macrumors member

forestinjersey

20. urkel, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018

urkel macrumors 68030

Portrait mode is great in the hands of people who know when/how to use it.

Personally, I love Live Photos and the HEIF format because the ability to change the key photo has been a life saver when taking pictures of family or the kids. But if an opportunity calls for it then I have no problem flipping it onto Portrait. I've gotten some great shots with it (as well as some horrible fails).

Machine Learning.

Thats the answer to both of your questions. While some may get offended by the mention of competing brands, the competition does allow their products to learn and mature without restricting improvements to media-hype events.

As much as we would love for Apple to how improvement throughout the year, we really dont see things get better very often. (Case in point. Those lighting effect shots people posted here. They look like poor photoshops because you can see all around the objects. Its an awful effect that Apple should either improve or remove)

21. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I was simply providing a data point because you were comparing the bokeh effect between iPhone X and the 7 plus.

22. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

23. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

I use it all the time. I have no need for it in the front camera as I rarely take selfies.

24. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I use it when taking images, most the time. Also some websites it work better in landscape.

25. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Websites?!