How Often Do You Buy New Macbook's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphone joe, Oct 11, 2016.

1. iphone joe macrumors regular

iphone joe

How many years do you wait until you replace your Macbook's? Do buy the latest and greatest or do you keep them until they die?

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

When I need to upgrade and it no longer does the job. Currently my 15" 2012 cMBP handles most things I need it to and I wouldn't ever consider getting rid of it unless it's completely broken.

I'd rather it was faster of course, especially with the bottlenecked SATA SSD -- those delicious 2GB/s PCI-e read speeds in the current gen would really help with loading AUs in LPX -- but it's still a solid machine.

4. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

My 2011 is still doing everything I need it too.

5. jerryk macrumors 68030

When I want/need a new one. They are business tools for me.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

My 2010 MBPro still does everything that I need it to do.
    No "replacement" is necessary, yet.

7. kingjames1970 macrumors regular

When I get too jealous of new features and 'have' to get one!

8. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Used to get one every 3 years. My current one is a 2013 MacBook Air that has roughly the same performance as my previous 2010 MacBook Pro. Just lighter and smaller.

I don't think I'll be upgrading again anytime soon though.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

3 years last time but the changes between the 2010 13 inch pro and the late 2013 13 inch pro were worth the upgrade. This one should do me another couple of years it hasn't skipped a beat in three years.

10. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

I stretch it until its redesigned and I buy the first gen and keep it until it's refreshed again.

11. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

2010 base MBP still works well for me (though I bought it second-hand). Upgraded with a SSD and it's plenty fast. I'll most likely get a new one with the 2017 or 2018 refreshes. I trust this 2010 will be good for another 2 years at least. Technology leaps aren't as big as they used to be year to year.

12. leman macrumors 604

Usually every three years the technology has progressed enough for me to make sense to get a new computer

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I lasted about 4 and half years, though I opted for a Surface Book instead of a MBP. The MBP could possibly last longer if I opt to put a new battery in it. Right now the laptop works well, but the battery doesn't last long enough for me to use it effectively.

14. sdwaltz macrumors 6502

My MBP is from 2011 and I have no intention of replacing anytime soon. She's still a monster.

I also have a white Macbook from 2008 that works quite well with a SSD. Rarely bust it out though as I've become accustomed to the multi-touch trackpad on my MBP and the 2008 Macbook is stuck on Lion.

15. meldea macrumors regular

Every 2-3 years. I do a fair volume of software development work and migrating to a new machine is a chore.

16. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

My first ever MacBook was a refurb white 2006 model, my current MacBook is a refurb 2015 model which I got this week, so took me 10 years. :p

17. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Still using my Late 2011 MacBook Pro 17"

18. JTToft macrumors 68040

When it's no longer supported on the latest OS.

19. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

Yeah, this is probably the truest way to know when you need a new Mac.

20. skateman4343 macrumors newbie

Speaking of which...Generally speaking what is the wait/turnaround on an Apple event vs. when I can walk in and get new product. Like many, in desperate need of new laptop and don't really pay attention until I am shopping.

21. JTToft macrumors 68040

- New Macs are typically available for purchase on the same day they're announced.

22. Patcell macrumors 6502

I generally get the itch every 3 years or so... Although I bought a mid-2014 15" Pro right after the 2015 models came out (got an amazing deal from B&H Photo) and I'd like to hold onto it for four years at least. Also, my wife is still using a 2011 iMac for her photo business, so it's her turn as soon as the 27" retina iMacs are refreshed. She's long overdue, but her current machine gets the job done surprisingly well especially after an upgrade to SSD storage. Night and day difference...

Also, it's a distinct possibility that my 4-plus year plan for my machine will go straight out the window when the new Pros are finally unveiled... Let's see what Apple can do to sway me!

23. Hadron macrumors regular

It's a work device for me, so probably quicker than I would if it were my own, but still only when it's lacking something or beginning to fail. My 2010 model was a mess by the end of 3 years (second display was failing, short of space, and a small water spill on the keyboard was causing a few problems). My current (2013) model is ageing a bit (display has smeary patterns when light at some angles, needs a bigger disk, battery life is adequate but less than it was) but is still usable. So I'm currently watching to see what the updates are when they arrive, but don't need to jump on a first generation product if there's any sign of it behaving like a first generation product.

24. wegster macrumors 6502

^ this.

Previously, I'd move when I couldn't tolerate performance after maxing out 'unofficially supported' RAM running VMs + Dev and sysadmin tools, but I tried to keep to a ~3-4 year cycle..assuming there was something of merit in the newer system.

This time around, I'm still on my CTO 2011 cMBP, 16GB, 1TB SSD + second HD, with the only reason for 'upgrade' being lack of USB3 and crap battery life on a replacement battery.

To date, there hasn't been any compelling reason TO "upgrade" - compared to current(ok-2015, currently for sale) models, CPU performance gains from then to now amount to 25% or less, no path to move to 32GB, so while I'd LOVE to like the new/eventually-released MBP, I'm waiting to see if they offer 32GB RAM or anything else as a truly compelling sign that 'it's time to "upgrade"'. We'll see.

25. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

2007 white MacBook then sold it in 2011 for a MacBook Pro. The 2011 is still going strong after SSD upgrade and 1TB in optical bay. Will be upgrading the SSD to Samsung 850 Evo 500gb today.