How often do you calibrate your MacBook Pro's battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dark Void, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Hi,

My 2010 13'' MacBook Pro is seven months old and I've only calibrated its battery once. This is admittedly me being lazy, I just find that the process never fits in with my usage patterns.

How often do you calibrate the battery in your MacBook Pro?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you want your readings to be accurate, you should calibrate every month or two. If you don't, it won't affect anything more than your readings. Some models with built-in batteries don't require regular calibration, although you can calibrate anytime you feel your readings are inaccurate. You should, however, exercise your battery regularly. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Every month or whenever I get around to doing it. Meh.

4. Dark Void thread starter macrumors 68030

Dark Void

When you say "readings," do you mean just the display number itself, or that the battery will run on an inaccurate charge? i.e. Would the inaccurate number being displayed be the actual life of the battery on that charge, even as it fluctuates?

Would calibrating my battery monthly prolong its actual life, or does it solely have to do with the accuracy of the readings displayed in the menu bar?

And you forgot to say, how often do you calibrate yours? : )

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It means your Mac could shut down with an indicated 30% charge remaining and your battery health could be reported as 96% when it's really 81%.
    Read the Battery FAQ. It really will answer your questions.

6. Dark Void thread starter macrumors 68030

Dark Void