Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How often do you charge your iPhone?

• More often than every 12 hours

Votes: 38 18.0%
  • Every 12-15 hours

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Every 15-18 hours

Votes: 44 20.9%
  • Less frequently than 18 hours

Votes: 93 44.1%

• Total voters

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Mostly every day. Sometime I go 2 or 3 days with the 6+. I've never had it run down very low.

That poll needs a little work. Seems like nobody can even answer it.. :confused:

Well the poll seems to be based on the assumption that everyone charges their phone at least once a day.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
But it only goes up to 18 hours?? :confused:
There's an option for "less frequently than every 18 hours" which therefore includes anything over 18 hours. The problem is unless everyone charges their phone at least once a day, that's too broad. People who charge every night are grouped with people who charge every 2 or 3 days.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Never had an iPhone run out within a day. I top it off every night. I don't understand why people would use phones that run out of charge during the day.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I used to have to charge my 5 at least twice a day, sometimes three times if I was on the road.

I charge the 6 Plus once a day. Period.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Every night just to be on the safe side. Probably could get away with charging every other day though. Phone currently stands ay 75% after a relatively light day, only 3 hours usage with 17 hours standby.

The 6+ battery life is frickin awesome.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

Dan70

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2014
England
I voted for 12 to 15 hours although I mainly just charge before bed each day but the battery can drain depending on use. I have a 5s which is about a year old so the battery isn't as great as it once was.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I charge my 6+ every other night while I am sleeping. Even then I still have 50% or so most of the time.

I think some of you people need to get off the phone and talk to real people, ha ha ha.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Quick question: Would it be better of for the battery if I leave my phone charged for 8 hours at work or should I just charge it at home overnight? I don't have issues of running out of juice but rather concerned about the lifespan of the battery and/or conditioning.

If you want to go to the trouble of nursing your battery for the longest lifespan then charge before reaching 40% and removed from charging before 80%. You could stretch battery lifetime to perhaps 8 to 10 years. However never let the phone get above 95 degrees F. High temperature destroys Li Ion batteries even if phone is off. So no leaving in hot car.

Keeping the charge level between 40 to 80% is a lot of management. You will have to keep multiple chargers or carry one with you. And you won't get all day use on a charge. Since replacing the phone within three or four years is likely you are doing a lot of work for the second owner of the phone. Additionally if past warranty a battery replacement is not that expensive.

Not worrying about charging and just doing it whenever will still have the battery lasting well past 4 years so it's up to you how anal you want to be about charging. Apple has made the phone charging logic very robust such that no matter how you charge it, you will get good life span from battery.

Recommend you use the phone, charge it as you need to and not worry about extending battery lifespan.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I charge it every night. However if I'm not going to work the next day I don't charge it at night and I still have enough juice to last me into the afternoon of the following day.

EdwardSmith36

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2016
I charge my iPhone when ever I see my battery below 50%. I never keep it left on charging for hours and hours.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I charge over night. Most nights I'm around 30-40%. I charge my watch every night as well, but this is less necessary. My iPad and MacBook get charged whenever needed, usually once every few days

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I generally charge my phone overnight every night. Depending on my usage after each day, I'm left with around 20-40% of battery left.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Mine will go on charge each night unless its still got a fair bit left plus will go on charge at work if i have videos streaming and in the car when its plugged in to my car stereo system via USB so charges.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Normal i cant get through the day without a re-charge.. pretty poor really and the wall plug in all the public places are always taken by other iPhone users!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Normal i cant get through the day without a re-charge.. pretty poor really and the wall plug in all the public places are always taken by other iPhone users!
While above I said I charge when possible my 6s will last me through the day, such that a full charge every 24 hours will be sufficient. I'm sure there are use cases, and I'm being a bit facetious, where people could carry around a car battery and it wouldn't be enough juice for a day.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Use to be a once-a-day charger at night, but new gig with poor cell service and no WiFi means I'm plugging in whenever I can during the day.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
While above I said I charge when possible my 6s will last me through the day, such that a full charge every 24 hours will be sufficient. I'm sure there are use cases, and I'm being a bit facetious, where people could carry around a car battery and it wouldn't be enough juice for a day.

But the solution should be based on the average user not the extremes at either end.
Apples continuous push for ever thinner means even the light users are struggling.

Give us a device that does what it should, not a silly hump backed cover!

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
But the solution should be based on the average user not the extremes at either end.
Apples continuous push for ever thinner means even the light users are struggling.

Give us a device that does what it should, not a silly hump backed cover!

Where I do agree with you, I'd say I'm an average use (with maybe heavy use for 30 minutes of the day) - yet my iPhone will be un-plugged from 05:30/06:00 until 22:00/22:30 and battery percentage will be 30% at its lowest (sometimes 20%), I'm not sure how people are struggling during the day even as a 'light' user..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.