How often do you charge your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CKohkah, Jan 10, 2008.

1. CKohkah macrumors 6502

I've found myself throwing it on the dock almost everyday when at my pc. Is it bad to charge your iphone to much? Will it ruin the battery?

2. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

The battery will eventually die, wether you charge it a lot or not. Now if you never unplug your iPhone then you might end up ruining the battery. Why do you charge it every day? If it is because its running out of juice then you might have a bad one, if you just charge it because its 3/4 full or half empty then maybe its not a good idea, let it run out. The phone will tell you when you have 20% free, when that happens then charge it. I charge mine every now and then, never 2 days in a row. It really depends if Im at school or not, if Im at school I will listen to music and text every now and then; I get 8-9 hours of use and 1-2 days of standby (wifi off) If its a weekend or like now I get like 5 hours of use and like 3-4 days of standby. Hope this helped.

-Victor

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

there have been several treads on good iPhone battery practices, and I think the final verdict was to charge it when ever possible, and to not let it die down if possible.
    I usually charge mine every night (but I do always have wifi on, and I'm on the Internet a lot. )

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I charge it every night for certain. The key points to battery longevity are as follows:

a) Minimize full-charges (ie Don't redock just because you used it for 20 minutes)
    b) Avoid going below 20% warning (20%-80% is the sweet zone)
    c) Do not leave it fully charged on the dock over a period of days.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

charge mine every night, mainly because it's out of power by then. I spend around 5 hours listening to music, 3 browsing the Internet, an hour watching video and collect my mail every 15 minutes. Oh, and a couple of hours on the phone and 10 texts or so a day.

6. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Every couple of days. Switching off at night. Usage include a couple of hours wifi and EDGE usage, music use and of course use as my phone - every day.

7. silbeej macrumors 6502a

I will charge mine about every three to four days, but sometimes less if i talk a lot one day. The amount that you charge does not affect the life of the iPhone, however the battery does not like to be drained fully all the time, so let it go down a bit, and then charge it up. Like any product, the battery will loose its capacity, but hopefully it will be after a year or two when i would be getting a new phone anyways. ;)

8. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I tend to let it sync every night so it charges that way. I dont think it really ever gets a full charge though as i dont leave it on long enough. However now that I know I can hook it into my stereo without a problem it might get more charge there.

9. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Mine spends the day in my pocket at work and the night on the charger on my dresser.

10. si3000999 macrumors member

hi ive just got an iphone again in the uk and my 14 day period is up. ive one problem where my battery, it only seems to last me about a day. im only using it for textin, the odd phone call and checkin my emails over wifi ( has to be wifi,cant seem to get edge working after jailbreak).
    should i do a restore and take it to o2 and get it replaced or is ther ant ides on how i can improve my battery life?

thanks
    simon

11. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Is Bluetooth on? Is your screen on full brightness?

12. si3000999 macrumors member

screen is at full brightness but i only turn wifi on when i need to use it

13. ctakim macrumors 6502

Daily, although I can easily go through 2 days without a charge if I need to.:)

14. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I charge mine nightly. Bluetooth, Edge and Wireless ON with 50-100% brightness.

15. ExitRightHere macrumors newbie

ExitRightHere

Charging IPhone

I usually charge mine every night if the battery is low or not. Is this a bad thing?

16. mas90guru macrumors member

I love battery threads. Ask 20 people - get 20 different replies.

17. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Wow, i have mine on the auto adjust, and i went in one day and put it up to full brightness and was like " OH damn! Thats bright!" and even squinted it was so bright.

18. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

I sometimes go weeks at a time where I don't use it at all because i'm at home. During those times, the phone just sits there and every few days I have to recharge it because the battery drains. Lately, i've been plugging it back in when it's down to half full.

19. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I charge as often as I can. Even if the battery has less then 95% charge left I will throw it on my car charge or what not. Don't forget lithium ion batteries like to be charged often, less cycles means longer battery life. Charge as often as you can for Li-ion batteries have no memory.

20. twilightpress20 macrumors newbie

Interesting. Does anyone know the life expectancy of lithium batteries? Particularly the iphone lithium battery?

21. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Apple documents the iPhone battery life really well on their site. (and probably in the manual.

22. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I charge mine every night, simply because I'm paranoid that if I don't, then it will die the next day when I need it, lol. Many days, though, I use it so heavily that it does need to be charged.

23. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I finally got the 20% notice last night sitting in the waiting area of the emergency room. It made it though until I was able to get home.

24. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've been charging my iPhone...

as "needed" and that's because my iPhone has a bunch of miles on it. If there's a problem with the battery not charging properly, then that would be the reason I purchased the AppleCare for the extra year; thereby, covering the life of the iPhone during the current two-year contract with AT&T. My battery has made it to 20% on two occasions and I was at Disneyland & Legoland with family and was unable to charge in the car. When not in use, it's in the dock or on the car charger getting "juiced" until that puppy is "good-to-go!" :cool:

25. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Ever since the 1.1.2 update, my iPhones have had incredible battery life. I can go between 3-4 days between charges. My battery indicator is a bit over half charged right now. I have gone 4 days between charges but mostly it's three.

Usage 5 hrs 52 minutes
    Standby 1 day 21 hours