How often do you delete your SMS/Texts?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by blurb23, Jun 12, 2009.

1. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

Just as the title says, how often do you clear out your inbox?

I've had my 3G for about a month (yes, I knew that a new one was likely, but I didn't feel like waiting), and I have about 5,500 texts (according to ATT.com) on my phone.

Is it a good idea to periodically delete all these messages? Or is there no harm in keeping them?

Also, are texts (and eventually MMS) counted under the orange "Other" catagory when looking at your storage space in iTunes? I have about 500 some MB of "Other" items on my phone, and I doubt that my apps are actually using that much space for their needs.

2. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

I never delete them

i remember the limit was very high. somewhere in the 100,000s

anyone know the exact amount?

3. joro macrumors 68020

joro

According to Apple, the iPhone can store about 75,000 SMS Messages. :eek:

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1498

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Never...but I restore every so often without using a backup so they get removed.

5. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

I only delete texts from people I don't talk to often to clear them out of the open list. Otherwise I just keep them all open and never delete them. Makes it easier to text someone quickly and you can look back and remember what people said.

6. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

probably like every week, except the ones from my girlfriend... haven't deleted those since i got my phone last year.

7. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

awwwwwww

... sorry. i'm guilty of that as wel...

8. Shaved Kitty macrumors member

why awwww... i am sure he still dreams about other hot chicks.

9. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I used to clear them at the end of every night before bed. It bothered me for some reason to have a bunch, which also meant that once I had more texts then would fit on the screen at a time I would delete the oldest ones.

10. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I only delete the random texts from companies like AT&T that all come from different numbers. Other than that, I've never deleted a conversation.

With 3.0, though, I'll probably delete some of the one letter or otherwise useless texts from within conversations if I think of it.

11. jackryan57 macrumors regular

Thats funny cuz I ONLY delete the ones from my girlfriend - oh, did I mention I'm married?