Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Just as the title says, how often do you clear out your inbox?

I've had my 3G for about a month (yes, I knew that a new one was likely, but I didn't feel like waiting), and I have about 5,500 texts (according to ATT.com) on my phone.

Is it a good idea to periodically delete all these messages? Or is there no harm in keeping them?

Also, are texts (and eventually MMS) counted under the orange "Other" catagory when looking at your storage space in iTunes? I have about 500 some MB of "Other" items on my phone, and I doubt that my apps are actually using that much space for their needs.

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Just as the title says, how often do you clear out your inbox?

I've had my 3G for about a month (yes, I knew that a new one was likely, but I didn't feel like waiting), and I have about 5,500 texts (according to ATT.com) on my phone.

Is it a good idea to periodically delete all these messages? Or is there no harm in keeping them?

Also, are texts (and eventually MMS) counted under the orange "Other" catagory when looking at your storage space in iTunes? I have about 500 some MB of "Other" items on my phone, and I doubt that my apps are actually using that much space for their needs.

According to Apple, the iPhone can store about 75,000 SMS Messages. :eek:

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1498

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I only delete texts from people I don't talk to often to clear them out of the open list. Otherwise I just keep them all open and never delete them. Makes it easier to text someone quickly and you can look back and remember what people said.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
probably like every week, except the ones from my girlfriend... haven't deleted those since i got my phone last year.

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
I used to clear them at the end of every night before bed. It bothered me for some reason to have a bunch, which also meant that once I had more texts then would fit on the screen at a time I would delete the oldest ones.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I only delete the random texts from companies like AT&T that all come from different numbers. Other than that, I've never deleted a conversation.

With 3.0, though, I'll probably delete some of the one letter or otherwise useless texts from within conversations if I think of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.