How often do you find yourself cleaning your computer?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by celticpride678, Aug 13, 2009.

?

How often do you find yourself cleaning your computer?

Poll closed Sep 12, 2009.
  1. All the time. Perfect condition!

17.6%
  2. Only to keep it clean.

39.2%
  3. Clean it once or twice a month.

29.4%
  4. Never clean it. Just use it and move on!

13.7%
  1. celticpride678

I know, that since getting my Late 2008 MacBook, I am cleaning it everyday to keep it looking like from the day I got it. No scratches, no dents and a very clean computer. I bought a Speck SeeThru Satin case and it works perfectly.
    The only things I need to clean are the palm rests, trackpad (smudges), keyboard and display.

My question to all of you is, how often do you find yourself cleaning your Mac or PC? Do you keep it in perfect appearance or do you just throw it in your backpack and move on? Post your thoughts and answer the poll above. Thanks.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

once the newness wears off (like a couple weeks) i dont really car about it too much

its just a tool

3. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Physically? When I realize how gross it is.

The OS/hard drive/whatnot? When the computer starts going slow or is almost at capacity.

Either way, it's like a don't fix it 'till there is something wrong sort of situation.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I clean the aluminum when I notice bad finger prints, and I'll scrape the grime off the keyboard if it is noticeable. :p

5. 11800506 macrumors 65816

About every couple of months. I then to clean it all at once, often times when I notice fingerprints in the glossiness of my MBP's screen. I used to care more, but now that it's approaching a year old and I use it more frequently with an external screen, I find myself caring less.

6. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

When I first got my MBP I used to clean it regularly, now I'm not as willing, though the computer is pretty much still mint. I clean it once a month or so.

7. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I gave up on cleaning my iMac because I'm lazy and constantly spray Febreeze in my room. It usually ends up on the screen, but still, is hardly noticable.

I clean my Macbook.....once in awhile. I've pretty much given up on it, too, because it gets dirty as soon as I close it. -.- I clean it every month or so.

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Pretty much never. When I had my iBook, I cleaned it maybe once every three or four months. (When it started getting discoloration on the plastic.)

My netbook and eMac, I only wipe the screen with a wet paper towel when the smudges get to the point where you really can't see through them anymore.

9. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

10. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Agree, other than the screen I don't think i've ever cleaned it...

11. noaccess macrumors 6502

Being the hardcore germophobe that I am, I disinfect the keyboard and trackpad pretty much every day, and as for the rest, about every 5 days. Can't help it :eek:

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Almost never. I don't take my MacBook anywhere with me (and I now wish I would have purchased a desktop instead of a laptop), so it sits on my desk 24/7. There is dust and cat hair all over it, but I don't care enough to clean it.

13. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Is it a White MacBook? Those show dirt the WORST.

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Yeah, it's a Core Duo white MacBook. The palm rest and trackpad are are dirty, but I don't care too much. It's just a computer, and I don't bring it anywhere with me.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Oh you mean that laptop attached to my 24" screen.... ummm.... its still down there somewhere.

16. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

I clean my computer when the monitor/keyboard/trackpad/mouse are dirty, as for the case itself I don't bother unless it really needs a cleaning. Sun Microsystems keyboards are the easiest to clean, just throw it into the sink and hose it down... dry it for 48-72 hours and it is good as new :D
    (too bad you can't do that to an Apple Keyboard)

Internally I usually need to crack open my workstation to clean the dust bunnies, my Solaris box needs the heatsink cleaned every 8-12 months and the rear fans cleaned every 6 months.
    (if I had a Mac Pro, the cheese grater design would be a nightmare to keep clean...)

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't clean it often but I do take very good care of all my electronics. My 5.5G iPod doesn't have a single scratch on the back (always placed down on an iPod sock), both iMac and Macbook are in perfect condition.
    Keyboard and mouse gets cleaned every week though.

18. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I don't anymore, why should I clean something that is dying???:eek::eek:

19. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

I clean it when I get annoyed with it turning brown.. It's not a nice look, the only thing which gets the brown out is Windex.

You'd think if you pay over 2K for a MacBook, it would stay clean.

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

my original CD MBP is pretty badly battered. i hardly ever clean it. the left hand side palm rest has worm down to the black metal stuff beneath it, the trackpad is shiney, the keys are dirty, the screen is dusty.. its had mars bars thrown at it, been dropped from high heights and has massive dints in it. yet it still smokes along!!!

i hardly ever clean it, i pulled it apart lastnight and gave it a nice dusting though :)

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wipe it down from time to time, so that there's no dust build up. Since I own a MacBook Pro, with those tiny little grill holes, I'd rather not have any dust settle in there, other then that, I'm not too anal about cleaning it.

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

directly beneath the grill there is a black "lining" that prevents anything getting inside the laptop :D

23. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

I do all my cleaning once a week on a Friday and my Mac and other computer stuff (keyboard, mouse, drives, router) gets cleaned and dusted then. I am a bit of a neat freak, I do like things neat, tidy and as dust free as possible.

I also find if you give things (rooms, carpets, desks, car etc) a REALLY thorough clean once a year it's easier to keep on top of after that.

(Leaves to go and straighten some towels)

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

when ever the monitor has gunk on it. It is wipe it off with a damp cloth and call it good.

Maybe once a year I will clean the keyboard and that is only if it is pretty dirty. I have no motivation to do it.

25. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Every three minutes when it's new. Every three months after I've had it for a few days. As needed in-between when my fingers don't glide across the trackpad right or I sneeze and snot all over the display.