How Often Do You Re-Install Your System?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by astrostu, Jul 27, 2007.

?

How Often?

1. 6 Months or Less

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. 7 Months to a Year

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. One to Two Years

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. Major OS Upgrades (e.g. 10.x.0)

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. Whenever it Seems to Need it

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  6. Reinstall? Why??

30 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. astrostu macrumors 6502

Just curious. I think I do it once every 2-3 years, just to get rid of all those thousands of tiny files that were created from all those applications that I once used but never did again. And generally I do it with a major OS upgrade.

Oh, and this means a complete and total clean install, wiping the old system and starting anew (though copying back files and folders like work stuff, etc. is fine).

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

I have never done a "clean install."

The only time my OS gets a install of any kind is when there is a minor OS update, like 10.4.10, or a major OS update.

3. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Brand New Computer, New OS, and every break I can get during the school year. I try to it once a year during the summer.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'd probably say between 7 months and a year. but also whenever it needs it

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I reinstall whenever IJ Reilly tells me to. I also sneak in the odd reinstall for major upgrades such as Panther to Tiger.

6. S281 macrumors newbie

Mine will only gets OS upgrades when more advanced OSs come out, or when bug fixes are released. I'm probably not going to do a major OS upgrade until I really need to though.

7. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Only when a major release comes out ie...10.3... >> 10.4.0

I haven't done a complete wipe since 10.1, & only then because it was a beta release :p

8. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Only when I'm having problems. Mainly I run Maintenance, about 2 times a month, and run iDefrag whenever I need to. I like keeping my system in top shape.

9. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

My time is too valuable to be spent reinstalling my OS. That's why I have a Mac. If something catastrophic happens, I can restore from my backups... but I don't reinstall unless I absolutely must.

10. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

My first Mac (G5 Tower) that I bought three years ago runs as fast as it did from day one and I have never done a compete reinstall. Oh how I love Macs:D

11. Alloye macrumors 6502a

Only major point updates for me (i.e. 10.4 -> 10.5). Other than that, OS X seems to hold up very well over time.

12. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

I have too much customized under the hood to bother reinstalling the system regularly. I doesn't need it (as long as you don't screw it up), and its a major waste of time and effort. Then I'd have to move over all my LaunchDaemons and scripts and all sorts of other stuff...way too much trouble.

13. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I've done a reinstall once. When I upgraded the harddrive in my MacBook from 80->160Gb.
    Other than that, no real point.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Heh. I plan to format when 10.5.1 comes out, otherwise I've never done it on this system (except when I changed the hard drive).

15. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Really just whenever I get the opportunity to reinstall everything how I want. I'd say maybe every 8 or 9 months.

16. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

I never did re-install on any of my OS X (or Linux) machines.

Windows is a different story. I have to re-install it on my kids PCs every 3-6 months. But even that is more because it's kids PC (everything get's installed) not because it's Windows ;)