How often do you reboot/restart your iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dranakin, Jul 28, 2010.

1. dranakin macrumors 6502

I got into the habit of doing so after installing/updating apps on my iPhone 3G, since it'd be sluggish especially after installing a large app. But since the iPhone 4 has more RAM, etc., I wonder if there's still the need to do so. If so, does it adversely affect the battery calibration or something else?

2. doboy macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SGH-T959 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

It's been about 24 days since I got my iPhone 4 and I think I rebooted twice so far.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I reboot it as often as my mac, when they're acting funny, which is almost never.

So far, I've only had to reboot my iPhone 4 once, when it had a persistent location icon that wouldn't go away despite closing the apps that use location.

4. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

5. anonymous guy macrumors 6502a

Whenever scrolling starts to feel sluggish and apps start crashing/loading slowly.

Also, when the phone bumps down to EDGE in a place where 3G connectivity is available. Like the phone doesn't seem to want to reconnect to 3G until I reboot it.

6. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Not half as much as I did with my old PPC/WM Phones. Still a few times a day, after closing out all multitasking Apps. Not sure I am accomplishing much but still do it. Also after installing or removing multiple apps. Always a good idea.

7. doboy macrumors 68020

You could try enabling airplane mode then disabling it so it can reset the signal.

8. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Sometimes this resolves network issues and other times a soft reset is necessary. I've had full bars and 3G service but wasn't able to connect to Safari even after switching Airplane mode on/off 3-4 times, a restart fixed it. Thought I was just in a bad cell area..

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I drain my battery twice a month, does that count?

10. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

Since I got it it's been about once every two weeks.

11. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

When i first buy an iPhone, i boot it. It pretty much stays on until i sell it or upgrade/jailbreak the newest OS.

12. hoogen macrumors regular

hoogen

i reastart my phone about once a week, usually once apps start crashing

13. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

I shut down every night or every other night when I charge!

14. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

What does a "reboot" exactly mean? Are you guys just powering it down with the lock button then sliding to turn off? I heard there is a different way to hard boot it too.

15. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

A reboot is when you push and hold down both the Home and Power buttons for about 10 seconds, power off or allow to run dead.

16. IphoneRevivers macrumors member

iPhone 4 is a big difference than an iPhone 3g . Even the 3gs was a big difference compared to the 3g when it came to latency or sluggish moments in the software . There is no technical answer to this but more personal opinion on when you feel the need to reboot your phone .

17. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

I don't do it anymore, as people have citied their reasons above, it's faster and has more RAM - doesn't need to reboot.

18. db67fm macrumors regular

db67fm

What is the difference between holding both the Home and Power Button and just holding down the Power button at the top? After holding the buttons the screen says "Slide to Power Off". Niether method says anything about reboot. And after the phone restarts my apps that I had previously ran are still in the taskbar running in the backround.

19. slimfinity macrumors member

Depends, if you're talking about your iPhone. Either way, my mind just went into to the gutter.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

21. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Only when I'm having problems (mail no longer pushing, apps crashing or not functioning properly), which is rare. I'd say maybe once a week or so.

22. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

powering off and back on is a re-boot

that taskbar simply shows you a history, they are not running in the back ground

23. Built macrumors 68020