How often do you reboot/restart your iPhone 4?

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
I got into the habit of doing so after installing/updating apps on my iPhone 3G, since it'd be sluggish especially after installing a large app. But since the iPhone 4 has more RAM, etc., I wonder if there's still the need to do so. If so, does it adversely affect the battery calibration or something else?

doboy

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SGH-T959 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

It's been about 24 days since I got my iPhone 4 and I think I rebooted twice so far.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I reboot it as often as my mac, when they're acting funny, which is almost never.

So far, I've only had to reboot my iPhone 4 once, when it had a persistent location icon that wouldn't go away despite closing the apps that use location.

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Whenever scrolling starts to feel sluggish and apps start crashing/loading slowly.

Also, when the phone bumps down to EDGE in a place where 3G connectivity is available. Like the phone doesn't seem to want to reconnect to 3G until I reboot it.

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Not half as much as I did with my old PPC/WM Phones. Still a few times a day, after closing out all multitasking Apps. Not sure I am accomplishing much but still do it. Also after installing or removing multiple apps. Always a good idea.

doboy

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2007
anonymous guy said:
Whenever scrolling starts to feel sluggish and apps start crashing/loading slowly.

Also, when the phone bumps down to EDGE in a place where 3G connectivity is available. Like the phone doesn't seem to want to reconnect to 3G until I reboot it.
You could try enabling airplane mode then disabling it so it can reset the signal.

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Sometimes this resolves network issues and other times a soft reset is necessary. I've had full bars and 3G service but wasn't able to connect to Safari even after switching Airplane mode on/off 3-4 times, a restart fixed it. Thought I was just in a bad cell area..

hoogen

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
i reastart my phone about once a week, usually once apps start crashing

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
What does a "reboot" exactly mean? Are you guys just powering it down with the lock button then sliding to turn off? I heard there is a different way to hard boot it too.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
What does a "reboot" exactly mean? Are you guys just powering it down with the lock button then sliding to turn off? I heard there is a different way to hard boot it too.
A reboot is when you push and hold down both the Home and Power buttons for about 10 seconds, power off or allow to run dead.

IphoneRevivers

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
iPhone 4 is a big difference than an iPhone 3g . Even the 3gs was a big difference compared to the 3g when it came to latency or sluggish moments in the software . There is no technical answer to this but more personal opinion on when you feel the need to reboot your phone .

db67fm

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
A reboot is when you push and hold down both the Home and Power buttons for about 10 seconds, power off or allow to run dead.

What is the difference between holding both the Home and Power Button and just holding down the Power button at the top? After holding the buttons the screen says "Slide to Power Off". Niether method says anything about reboot. And after the phone restarts my apps that I had previously ran are still in the taskbar running in the backround.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
What is the difference between holding both the Home and Power Button and just holding down the Power button at the top? After holding the buttons the screen says "Slide to Power Off". Niether method says anything about reboot. And after the phone restarts my apps that I had previously ran are still in the taskbar running in the backround.
powering off and back on is a re-boot

that taskbar simply shows you a history, they are not running in the back ground

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.