How Often Do You Replace Your Macs?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JamesGorman, May 11, 2009.

?

How Often Do You Buy A New Mac?

1. 1-6 Months

5 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. 7-12 Months

7 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. 12-18 Months

12 vote(s)
    12.6%
  4. 18 Months +

72 vote(s)
    75.8%
  1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Just as the question says, How often do you buy a new mac to either compliment or replace your existing ones?

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Not until AppleCare expires. And then only once it starts to go on the fritz.

3. harodude macrumors regular

I would say just as technology expands and things become faster, throughout my household we probably purchase a new mac at least once a year....

This to keep up with the latest graphics chips that are often soldered and cannot be upgraded (iMac & MBP's).

At any rate though, Apple seems to have replaced at least 3 of our computers in the past 2 years under Apple Care because of lemons!

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Probably in a year's time when the rev C MBA starts smiling at me :D

5. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I've never had a specific lifecycle for my Macs; I just use them until they are too slow for my needs. My most recent purchases were an iMac in November 2007 and a MacBook Air in March 2009. I don't anticipate buying a new desktop for another three years or so or buying another laptop for another five-ish years.

So...I guess my answer would be every 30 months or so...

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Every 3 years or so. Depends on which tiered model I buy (bottom, mid, top of the line). My iMac 24" should last me until 2012 easily (bought early 2008).

7. Carl Abudephane, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  8. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I'm such a sucker for new shiny technology, ever since becoming a mac user in April of last year I've owned a blackbook, an iMac, an aluminum MacBook and now a 15" MacBook pro. LOL I am hoping to stick to the MBP until applecare runs out or apple makes a super drastic improvement to the line.

9. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Haha, looks like I'm not the only one. Since I started using macs as well as PC I've bought a blackbook, an imac, a MBP and an alu macbook recently. We need help :rolleyes:

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I ran my G4 iBook for ~5 years. Bought it brand new 12/03 and only stopped using it when I bought my Unibody in 10/08

11. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Bought my first Mac in 2003 and I'm still using it. I'm planning on getting a new MacBook Pro when the next revision comes out.

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I got my first iMac to replace a ~10 yr old desktop PC in March and its been fantastic (but each of my 4 other computers has their specific use/place in the house)... as one of them completely stops working, the iMac would take its place and I'd get another so it just depends on the next machine to go kaput...

13. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

To be honest I like to purchase things that are the latest and greatest, being a student makes that a bit harder though lol. With that being said I'll most likely be purchasing another mac within a year to a year and a half, most likely when the rev.c macbooks and macbook pros come out.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It was every 3-4 years when I used Windows, but I'll probably be ditching my mac to go back to Windows well before I hit the 4-year mark, finance willing.

15. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

windows:( lol

16. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Whenever the machines get too slow and inhibit me doing what I need to do. I recently upgraded my main desktop from a 2000 dual 500MHz Power Mac G4 to a new Mac mini, so I guess I tend to go a bit longer than most people :)

I tend to stay a bit behind the cutting edge. I fully expect that this mini will serve my needs for many many years to come. Same with my main laptop, a 12" 1.5GHz PowerBook G4; great little laptop, and I plan on using it until it explodes :p

17. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

I still don't have my first Mac, but I would replace a computer once it can't run the latest version of what I use(i.e. Mac OSX, iWork, Bricksmith, iLife, some games, ect.). So, based on this, I would say I would get a middle-of-the-line computer every.... say, 5 years? Maybe sooner if speeds really affect what I use(for example, general apps run 2-3x faster on this computer, or some new wireless tech thats way faster than the last draft), but otherwise, computers should last for at least five years(my brother just got his first mac, a 1GHz FW800 PMG4, and he loves it), if not more.
    Oh, and only going to 18 months+ is dumb, options should be:
    >1 year
    1-2 year
    2-3 years
    3-4 years
    4-5 years
    5 years+

Only people with money to burn(or a real professional) needs a new computer every 18 months, unless of course it falls from a 37 story building:eek:
    SG :apple:

18. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Whenever they get too old for me to use/break. I don't expect to replace my eMac for a few years at least.

19. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Typically I replace my desktop (MP) about every 4 years. I replace my MBP every 2 years. However, my hardware purchases are solely dictated by my software needs so I will upgrade sooner if s/w requires.

21. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

lol sorry for not being more broad on my options:p I was just going throwing down some numbers anyway. Now that i think of it I probably should have been a tad broader on my options. Next time!! :cool:

22. jwt macrumors 6502

Dude, you need to measure in years, not months. Some mac people still have the original iMac. I have a friend who has the first iBook.

I keep mine usually 5 years. My Powermac G4 lasted 6. My Mac Pro will probably last 10.

23. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I know, I know, I realized it afterwards, but does everyone have to point it out lol. If its years, just select the 18+ months, and type up how long you usually keep it for, like everyone else. Does everyone always have to point out mistakes in peoples threads lol? sheeesh, everyone is so negative around here:p

24. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I bought this iBook in June 2006, and I'll be getting a new MacBook in summer 2009. That's about my usual time frame, though I have been champing at the bit for almost a year now. :eek: