How often do you upgrade/replace your macbook pro or laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eggtastic, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Just curious... also why do you choose this time frame? Because macs are built to last a LONG time.

2. mattgoldey macrumors member

My unibody MacBook is still in perfect shape and running strong. It should, it's only 16 months old. I'm going to replace it with a new MBP as soon as Apple refreshes the hardware, though, because I'd like to be able to crank up the graphics settings in the games I play. I have it attached to a 22" external monitor running at 1920x1080 and the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M just isn't powerful enough to do that.

3. tmdist macrumors newbie

I still have my dying 1.67ghz powerbook G4 so I think I'm about due for an update if these bad boys are out tomorrow. The monitor gets distorted, battery is completely gone, haha... But I bought mine in August 05 so I guess it did its job.

4. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Had this thing 3 years now and it still plays the latest games. It is time to upgrade though, and I'm surprised it lasted this long to be frank. This was my first Mac so I'm not used to this quality of manufacture. My next MBP I will expect to last a minimum of 2 years up to 3 or more..

This time I won't be buying basemodel, as I think you have to upgrade sooner if you go down that road. I'll be going for the best card/processor I get it into a 15incher.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Mine breaks in about 6-8 months. For whatever reason, from a warped chassis to a small issue like a broken fan; then they do 5 repairs, give up and replace it with the latest model. It's actually kind of annoying since I'd rather the computer work all the time.

6. DJ90 macrumors member

i change everytime eachtime the MBP refreshes, cos i got nothing but $$$$:D

7. ingallsra macrumors newbie

In the past I've replaced my laptops every 2-3 years. it's a good time frame for me because of hardware upgrades. This is my first new MBP. Hopefully it will last at least that long. So far I'm extremely happy with it.

8. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

still using my 12"PB. Granted that's my "home" laptop, have an i7 920 Desktop (DIY), and a Latitude E6400 work laptop. I think it's about time to upgrade my home laptop...especially since despite it's shortcomings, it's still my favorite computer to use :)

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My MBP is about 3 years old, and still kicking. Once it stops kicking, I'll replace it. Usually, that's about once every 4 years for me.

10. porterusaf macrumors member

I normally like to hold onto my hardware till significant changes come out... Thus 4 cores > 2 cores, and I'll also max out the RAM to 8GB when the new refresh comes out. Then I doubt I'll buy anything new for years... Until next year when 8 core Intel processors come out. ;)

11. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Right now mine is just over 2 years old and it's still kicking just fine. Granted, I am planning to upgrade when the new ones come out (tomorrow?), I am mainly doing that to have a fresh start for college this fall in hopes that it will last all four years of college. I don't necessarily need a new one yet, I could live with this one for a good while longer, but it's just working out well for me to upgrade now.

12. Eruanno macrumors newbie

I had a white MacBook from '07 prior to my uMBP 13", but I got a new one because
    1. There was a sweet deal at my local store
    2. I could convince my dad to buy my old one for a reasonable amount of money
    3. The GMA950 graphics can suck it

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'll upgrade whenever there is a significant improvement--which might be the next refresh. My MBP will be 4 years old in April so its about time. However, I'm not paying a premium for the same screen resolution, the same optical drive--just a better processor. The new chips will be great, but it will take more than a chip upgrade to motivate me to shell out all the money you have to pay.

14. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I replace mine every 2-3 years, with the older one going and becoming my secondary laptop (I have at least 2 at any 1 time).

I currently have a MacBook White (Early 2008) which will be replaced in early 2011, and then it will take over from my 1.67 PowerBook G4 which is used as a netbook and goes everywhere with me, whereas my MacBook acts as a portable desktop. I will probably move to a 15" MacBook Pro for my next laptop as Ive outgrown this MacBook, but am surviving till I can get the cash together :D

15. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I'm thinking about trying to update with every update.

Since I can get a School/Corporate discount on new Apple Products.

If I can sell the old laptop for a good price on craigslist, it would only cost me a few hundred bucks a year. Which would be well worth it.

But then again I was doing that with PowerMacs/Mac Pro's until the Nehalem price increase nixed my update cycle.

16. Hmac macrumors 68020

I don't use my 2.5 year old 3,1 MBP all that much, and when I do it meets my needs. I'll probably replace it soon when there's some dramatic feature or performance bump.

17. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I have a 1st gen MBP with no plans to upgrade soon. It is still half decent, performance-wise and nothing's broken. I did upgrade the wireless to 802.11n and the hard drive to 500GB.

I have been trying to buy an iMac for when I need more performance and screen space, but I can't get one with a non-defective screen. If I have to give up on the iMac, I guess I'd think abouit a new laptep. But I'd really be looking for a significantly bigger jump in capabilities than is currently available and I don't know when that will be practical in a laptop. E.g., I'd want a 300+ GB SSD + quad core + a really fast external interface (USB3, lightpeak, whatever) and not go broke. So 2011 is probably the earliest I'd replace my MBP.

18. enberg macrumors regular

My current one is 4 years old. and has a number of small broken annoyances that add up to a pretty damned annoying total. I'm buying a new one as soon as they announce.

19. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I may just sell my new MacBook when the new MBP's come out and there's a major upgrade to the 13" Pro's,there still just like a Unibody MacBook if they upgrade them and keep them at the same price,bye-bye MB.

20. phrint macrumors 6502

My 5-year old PB G4 1.67 is running like a champ. No issues whatsoever other than being outdated. Can't wait for the updated MBPs to come out so I can bend over and let Apple take thousands of dollars from me again :)

As a side note, I find it funny how many people are talking about their MBP's and MacBook's being on their last legs and needing the update to come out soon. Sounds like many of you don't know how to take care of your machines. I am sure some of it is quality control issue with Apple but mostly user error.

21. DonJMa macrumors newbie

How often do you upgrade/replace your macbook pro or laptop?

I have actively been using my 17" Powerbook G4 1.33 Ghz everyday for 6 + years
    It still works great. I have used it for video editing with FCP a bit slow in rendering :)
    Have been very pleased
    Am looking forward to the new 17" MBP though

22. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

It depends on what is new.

I have a late 2006 MacBook Pro and a late 2008 MacBook Pro. Big difference in both of them.

The newer MacBook Pros have nothing new, just a non-removable battery and an SD card slot. If they upgrade the CPU and the graphics card, then I might be sold (though I use an expresscard SSD for data and music...so idk what I'd do if I had a computer without that...).

23. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I'll be upgrading my Early 2008 MBP soon. It's two years old this month, but it's still perfect. I'm a tech junkie, so it's been hard to hold out this long. I mainly want a smaller, lighter laptop with a longer battery life, so I'm keeping my eye on the Air. Hopefully they get updates at the same time as the Pros.

24. WHM macrumors regular

I try to upgrade every 18/24 months... sold my early 2008 pre unibody last week. Wainting on the refresh..

25. cmanbrazil macrumors regular

I have a macbook pro core duo from 2006. Under warranty they replaced a battery, and dvd player. Now the case is bent open, needs a new battery, and another dvd player. The price of fixing it is close enough to buying a new one that I thought its time to upgrade and get a new warranty. However, I'm not maxing out my computer or anything.