How often do you upgrade your Apple gear?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Paulywauly, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Title says it all I guess! Do you buy new gadgets when they break? Is the anyone out there who upgrades at every refresh?

2. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Great question. I'm one of those people who gets a computer the way I like it then leave it there until it dies or can no longer do the job. I have a 1998 Powerbook G3 Wallstreet (not worth upgrading to OS X), a 2003 PowerBook G4 12" (failed HD), and a 2008 20" iMac. I'm looking to an iPad to replace the G4...

Software and OS's I tend to sit on unless I really need something. FileMaker Pro is probably the only one I update frequently - and only every other release or so.

As far as iPods go, I have a 1st generation Shuffle and a 3rd Gen Nano. Don't need anything fancy.

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I upgrade my iPhone every year usually. The other stuff is a mutual decision and really only as needed. Our 2008 MBP will be with us for another year at least.

4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Not bloody often. I have a 2005 17" Powerbook G4 that I still use. I bought a 2007 era Mini 1.83 Core Duo from a coworker in 2008 but I did sell it and upgrade to a late 2009 2.26 Mini earlier this year. I still have a first gen 16GB Touch and a 6th gen 160GB classic iPod and see no reason to upgrade either.

I am getting an urge to upgrade the Powerbook but I can't justify it right now. I also can't decide what to get. I'm torn between the Air and a 13" MBP.

5. Paulywauly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

nice to see people getting their moneys worth out of their gear :)

I'll admit im a bit of a gadget addict, i now its wrong but id upgrade every significant refresh if i could! So much so i've recently thought over selling my imac, ipad and iphone each year before they are going to refresh and then purchase the new ones. It all holds its value well if you have the original packaging and applecare. i think i need some therapy! :eek:

The only one i wouldn't replace would be my beloved iMac G4, was a gift from my girlfriend and has alot of quirky charm (for a computer anyway)

6. puma1552 macrumors 601

I've given Apple enough money and ended up with the most unreliable computers I've ever had. There are more important/better places to put my cash these days.

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Generally every two or three years I replace my main Mac with something else, but I always buy used so it isn't terribly expensive. Had an '06 mini (died) then an '05 iBook G4 (sold), now running a late '05 eMac. The eMac fits my needs perfectly, but I may need to replace it with a portable Mac soon unfortunately. :(

8. Xavier macrumors 68020

9. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I can't say for laptops, since this is the first one I own (the other Macs being my parent's), but I'm planning to keep my iPod touch 2nd gen for one more year. I think it's going to be pretty hard, the battery is going low, but I really want to skip another generation. :p

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Macs: generally every 2-3 years.

iPhones: every other year (once my contract is up, I upgrade. Simple as that.)

iPads: we'll see. For the first revision I'll probably upgrade, then every other year after that.

Software: OS X, every update. iWork: every update. Everything else: as needed.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

As you can see in my signature, I've had my iMac for over 3 years and my MBP is a month shy of turning 3. I plan on keeping them for as long as they work and do the things that I need them to do. My phone before my iPhone I had for 18 months and I'll probably keep my iPhone for 2 years before upgrading.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It has been about every 2 years, but my first few macs were used so they were about 5 years old when I upgraded. I bought my most recent one new and have had it 2 years, and I don't see myself upgrading for a few more years unless it dies. 5 years old is about the limit for a computer being useful as a main computer for me.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Depends on my needs and budget.

I'm at a point in my life that the prior and current generation of computers will suffice for years to come.

I have an core i7 desktop that's a behemoth and that should last several years. The laptop I just picked up because I'm in need of mobility, should last me > 3 years provided nothing breaks

14. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Macs - 3-4 years unless the upgrade is significant and the resale is strong on ebay/craigslist.

iPhone - Every 2 years, when there are substantial (not just minor) changes to the iPhone, or whenever I can secure the discount on the new one.

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

More or less the same as what he said.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Macs - when it gets to the point of being unusable with the current software.

iPhone - every two years.

17. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

The iMac in my sig is my first Mac, and it's a very stable machine. It's still doing quite well on Leopard; it's lasted longer than my AppleCare warranty for it without an OS reinstall, and has only had maybe one or two kernel panics. I'm sure I could install Snow Leopard, but I also have XP installed via Boot Camp and don't want to risk that partition being trashed during an SL upgrade. I'll get a new one when I can afford it and this one no longer meets my needs.

I "upgraded" my 2nd gen nano (my first iPod) to a 5th gen last year. I still have my 2nd gen; it's relegated to occasional use, usually outdoors in a Logitech portable speaker set when I'm working around the yard. Still works like a charm, although the battery life has been reduced to about 60-75% of its original.

18. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

MacBook Pro - 2006 and still running very strong.

iPod - Battery life is like 10 minutes, but I only really use it in the car, and there I have my car charger, so problem nullified. It's like 5 years old, so it figures.

I guess I never upgrade my Apple stuff. Upgrades cost money, which tbh I'd rather spend elsewhere if I don't absolutely need to upgrade. I'd love to upgrade my Laptop, but six months after I'd upgrade, they'd only release something bigger and better and I'd want that too.. :eek:

19. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Only when it breaks and cost of parts > 50% of new. I'm still using the original MacBook, replaced the HD after it crapped out a few years ago.

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Only when I absolutely have to (not by my choice). Family politics/home ownership make life in that particular area hard on me. Not that I'm complaining; they're totally worth it.

Just read this:
    That's pretty much me as well.

21. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Probably 3-4 years if I had a MacBook.

For my iPhone I've been upgrading every year since the 3G. I think I will keep my 4 for awhile until 4G networks roll out.

22. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

3-4 years

Bought my macbook in 2008.... warrenty expires 2011 maybe upgrade it in 2012

iPad in 2010... planning on keeping it till apple stops making iOS compatible with it.... which might be 3-4yrs from now...

iPod touch 1G, still have the old one.... i think i might update to 4G if money is okay..

iPod Shuffle.... naw.

23. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I am going to try and keep my 2008 20" iMac as long as I can. I had to replace the HDD about 6 months ago. When it does need replacing I will not be buying another Mac unless Apple allows the Graphics card to be upgraded. I'm not to happy about being stuck with an outdated, underpowered graphics card.:mad:

24. Reventon macrumors 6502

I used to upgrade my iPods every two or three years. I have 3 Nanos now, the 1st gen, the fat square 3rd gen and the 5th gen. I plan to keep the iPhone for 3 yrs, and the MBP and iMac probably 3-5 years.

25. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc