How often do you upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cambookpro, Nov 10, 2010.

?

How often do you update your MacBook/Pro?

1. 1-6 Months

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. 1 year

6 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. 2-3 years

28 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. 3-4 years

26 vote(s)
    36.6%
  5. 5-6 years

6 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. 6+ years

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. I'm still on an Apple ][!

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

How often do you upgrade your MacBook/Pro?
    I've seen some people who always get the newest model, but some people wait 5+ years.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I upgrade about every 6 years. My Ti book lasted me 6 years as a good laptop. I'm currently on year 4 of my Blackbook. Hoping to keep it for another two.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm going on year 4 with my pre-Santa Rosa MBP. I just upgraded the RAM and HDD a few weeks ago. That should keep it going for another 3-5 years for me.

I have no intention of buying another MBP in the foreseeable future.

4. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I generally keep two machines, a portable and a desktop. Before coming over to macs I upgradee each every 3-4 years or so, but the upgrades were offset, so I generally bought a machine every two years or so. I've only had one macbook pro though (my first mac), which is past due for an upgrade (it's a 1,1). Its longevity has really impressed me.

5. OceanView macrumors 65816

For PC Laptops, I use to upgrade every year but for Macs I tend to use it for much longer. I think it has a lot to do with the design and that it still stays looking current. The other side of that coin is that MBP tend to be more expensive than PC's spec for spec so I try to use it longer and get my moneys worth.

Currently have both a 15" and a 13" MBP and hope to keep them for 3-4 years.
    But if the next series of MBP look more like the current Air's I may not be able to resist and get one sooner than planned.

6. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I would LOVE to upgrade more often, but my wife's Blackbook is still kicking, 4 yrs strong and no problems except replacing the battery a couple months ago. As soon as it dies she'll get my UMB and I'll go for a new MBP. Maybe a 15" next time ;).

7. paratrooper macrumors newbie

paratrooper

Got my first Mac (an iBook) in Sept 2005. Got my MBP in Feb 2009. So I guess I upgrade every 3 years 5 months. :)

Next upgrade: July 2012

8. preppy macrumors member

preppy

9. applepearpp macrumors regular

every 2-3 years is good. i like to sell my computer while it's still worth something and chip in a little for a new, top of the line machine.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I bought my MBP four years ago and expected to upgrade it about two years ago. However, I bought a desktop instead. If I need to do anything that requires a fast system, I can use my desktop. As far as portability goes, I'm happy with my MBP and don't see myself replacing it any time soon.

11. phib3r0ptik macrumors newbie

Still going strong on my 2007 Blackbook. Maxed out the RAM and HDD since then, but still runs like a champ.

Planning on upgrading to the next gen MBP when Lion is released

12. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Whenever the specs demand it or apple makes a dang good convincing argument to do it. Usually 2 years or so.

I have had my MBP for almost 2 years now and its working great, no issues. Only reason to upgrade is the built in battery with better life, but after seeing the new airs, I'm hoping some of the features trickle to the next MBP.

13. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Next upgrade for an MBP, has to have at least USB 3.0 for me. :eek:

14. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Im getting better, I used to upgrade every 6-8 months. Now I upgrade 12-18 months.

However, the chain goes.

I get the newest, my wife gets the hand me down, then the kids get hers.

So we generally have 3 generations of computers in the house.

Right now we have a I7 Quad 2.93 Imac (Mine)
    A 2.53 ghz Duo Core 24" IMac - (Kids)
    A 17" 2.66 I7 Mac Book Pro - (Mine)
    A 15" 2.8 Duo Core Mac Book Pro (Wife.)

Depending on features, I'll most likely keep the IMac's and MacBook Pro's through the next update and then upgrade after that. and then Ebay or Craigslist sell the oldest machine.

15. robertbrian23 macrumors member

3-4 years would be a normal upgrade nowadays. it can be prolonged as well.

16. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would say about every 3 years or so is when I upgrade. Although I may draw it out a bit more, as my current MacBook Pro is nearing 3 years old right now and it's still working just fine. It may be one of those "undesirable" 8600M MacBook Pros, but for me it's been a very reliable computer. I'll probably try to keep it another year or two as I don't see much reason to upgrade right now.

17. drjsway macrumors 6502a

If you're a student and live in a state with low sales tax, you can pretty much get a free MacBook every year if you buy in the summer (back to school sale)

Let's take the base $1,199 MBP. 1,199 - 100 student discount - 200 free iPod - 100 free printer = $799. Since you might not be ale to sell the iPod and Printer at full price, let's bump it up to $850. Last year's $1,199 MBP (refreshed 6/09 or 16 months old) are going for $800-$900+ used, probably higher a few months ago.

The other benefit is, since you are always selling after 12 months, you are always covered under warranty without paying extra for AppleCare.

18. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

I am still on a 2006 MBP CD 1.83 (first Intel ever), it rocks still, amazing!

19. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

I usually upgrade every 5-7 years. Sometimes more.I only upgrade when I see a need, so since my MBP plays all my games, and many more to come, medium-maxxed settings, and since it browses the web, and word processes, emails, makes spreadsheets and presentations, etc. I don't think I'm gonna upgrade for another several years.