How often do you use the Optical Disk Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheJing, Nov 15, 2011.

?

How often do you use the Optical Disk Drive in your Macbook Pro?

This poll will close on Feb 1, 2020 at 1:23 PM.
  1. I've never used it. Get rid of it!

25 vote(s)
    27.2%
  2. I've used it a few times but could do without it.

46 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. I use it regularly. Apple should leave it!

21 vote(s)
    22.8%
  1. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Just wanted to know.

I haven't used mine once since I got my Macbook Pro in June.

2. refurbished macrumors member

3. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

4. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

What! They still sell CDs?

5. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

My optical drive stopped working about 2 years ago. Never even noticed.

6. WarpSpawn macrumors member

Been experimenting with HandBrake so currently using it a bit. If/when I have a decent amount of my collection ripped though, I do not imagine that it will see much further use.

All the same, it is something that I would rather have on what is serving as a main PC at the moment, even if only for those infrequent occasions.

7. hardliner macrumors member

hardliner

Are you one of these chumps, where you download your Justin Bieber and other BS pop-music online??? LOLOLOL

Nothings beATs CD's. Going to the store, reading the booklet, holding something in the hand. Hell, you can even pop in the CD in the car. No hassle. Simple.

As for the optical drive. No need anymore. Twice a year a DVD, maybe ripping a CD for iTunes. But I don't need it!

8. djpuma macrumors regular

I'm about to use it right now.
    When I pull my optibay out, but the superdrive in and reformat with snow leopard.

Last time I used it was when I put snow leopard on when snow leopard came out.

Optical drive is a waste of space.

The next mbp should either include an external one or charge a minimal fee to add one. Not $99 unless they drop the price of the macs to reflect the difference.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes. They do and they make more money from physical media sales than digital.

10. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

Plus there are areas that have bandwidth limits were downloading your movies caps you quick even streaming from netflixs. Plus there are areas of the U.S. that can't get broadband its either sat. internet or phone and both are poor performers for certain things like movie streaming and dl and sat is not cheap. So the odd is still needed internally for some people. I am sorry but i think it was a bonehead move to remove it from the mac mini as it is used mostly for a htpc.

11. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Personally, I have yet to use the optical disk drive on my MBP. I admit that while some people may need it, I feel that 2/3 of us do not.

12. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

None of the options fits my usage of the optical drive. I use it to burn CDs for the car stereo, not that frequently of late, but I still could not go without it externally.

13. SayMilesAway macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

I haven't used mine yet, haven't had my computer for long though. Thinking of throwing my 750GB HDD in there with the optibay adapter.

14. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Then how did you know it stopped working 2 years ago?

15. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

Albums cost more than individual songs, of course physical media will bring in more revenue. But I actually enjoy getting CDs myself, better quality and cool to have something tangible. But with that said, I don't use optical drives much at all except to rip CDs.

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I rarely use the optical drive on my Macs or office PC.

17. Bloodstar macrumors regular

I actually use it fairly often - CD and DVD media, software installs and files related to such, and occasionally using CD-R/DVD-R media to transfer large amounts of files when my USB disks aren't enough. (I tend to do a lot of downloading at my college if I can, considering I'm only on a 1mbps connection at home. Still fast to me, but I'd rather wait and get things done quicker if at all possible.)

Granted, I guess I could use a machine without it, but I'd certainly need to buy an external or also use a machine that did have an optical drive.

18. ender land macrumors 6502a

I use mine several times a week.

Had to have it replaced, actually, probably used it more in a year than most people do ever with their laptop :)

19. Fallfromgrace macrumors newbie

I use mine several times a week, uploading CDs. I like opening a cd and looking at it!

20. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

I only use mine for on accasion movies. But getting rid of it soon for the HDD putting it in a case and use it when i need to :)

21. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

I guess notice is the wrong word to use. I knew it was broken, but I've never really needed it...

22. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

A lot actually. Cloud storage is not ideal for raw photo files. I am looking into larger external hd storage and might buy during black Friday. I also have lots of music podcasts and those take up lots of space and so I burn then to disc.

23. samcolson4 macrumors member

I bought the 2011 Pro speciffically because I want a computer with an optical drive in it before Apple axe it.

I use it literally every day for reviewing DVDs. The current UK broadband (at least in the South West) is just too slow for big Cloud storage or streaming good quality video. I average about 0.5mb/s. (If I want to download a film it normally takes a full night).

This makes an optical drive essential for me, and as we all know the issues with the MBP usb slots I don't think an external drive would be good enough for me. Plus, the lack of easy portability that I have with it built in.